Alpha 7S III E-Mount Camera with Full Frame Sensor (Body Only)
Request a price match
An identical model
The product must be a matching brand, model number and colour to be eligible.
Available to purchase
We may match selected local retailers (including their online prices) once verified and item must in stock or pre-order online or in store.
Not shown on our exclusions list
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, competitor’s service prices, special or hourly sales, bonus buy offers.
See our full list of exclusions
A local retailer
The retailer must have a local business number (ABN/ACN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Find a Qualifying Product
While online, find a qualifying product from a local retailer's website that would like to request a price match from. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Fill out the form to request a Price Match
On selected pages, fill out the form and submit your request. Note, some models are excluded.
Please be prepared to direct our support staff to the ad or website that is displaying the current lower price you would like to match.
Should your price match request be successful, we will contact you and update your shopping cart. Make sure to create/sign into your account and add the product to cart to make this quicker.
Find a Qualifying Product
Find a qualifying product that you want Sony to price match from a local retailer. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Price Match In Store
Take your catalogue, flyer, or printed email into one of our Sony Stores to request a price match.
For visual trailblazers
With extreme full-frame movie performance including high sensitivity (expanded ISO up to 409600), 15-stop wide dynamic range, 4K 120p1, fast and dependable autofocusing, and extra-strong image stabilisation, the α7S III again raises the bar for movie makers.
- Newly developed 12.1MP sensor and new BIONZ XRTM engine
- Professional movie capture up to 4K/120p
- High-performance hybrid autofocus optimised for still or video capture
Full-frame 4K recording at 120p
Full-frame 4K recording at 120fps with autofocus is possible thanks to the high-speed readout capabilities of the new image sensor working in tandem with the newly developed, powerful BIONZ XR processor. This high image-quality 4K, with full-pixel readout without binning, allows for clear post-produced slow motion (up to x5 slower than real time), as well as bokeh effects typical of full-frame cameras, all with smooth, high-precision autofocus. Despite the a7S III's compact size, it provides impressive scope for your creativity.
Recording movies with 10-bit depth and 4:2:2 colour sampling
The camera is capable of performing 4K internal recording with 10-bit depth and 4:2:2 colour sampling when using either Long GOP or All Intra compression. This makes it possible to push your colour grades further, stretching video out for ultimate HDR realism while still retaining natural gradation, for true editing freedom.
All-Intra internal recording
In addition to Long GOP inter-frame compression, the a7S III supports internal intra-frame (All-Intra) recording for the first time in an a-model body, where each frame is recorded independently at a high bitrate of up to 600Mbps. This can be useful for certain types of shoots as it allows maximum flexibility in post-production editing.  All-Intra (All-I)  Long GoP  Group of Pictures
HEVC codec with high compression efficiency
Available for the first time, XAVC HS format recording using the MPEG-H HEVC/H.265 codec roughly doubles the compression efficiency. Compared to a normal 4K XAVC S format, XAVC HS allows for detailed 10-bit video with 4:2:2 colour sampling at comparable or lower data rates, delivering even better image quality as well as manageable file sizes.
Designed for smooth movie-making
Flexibility in positioning the camera and framing shots is provided by the side-opening, vari-angle monitor, which incorporates a bright 3.0-type, 1.44 million-dot LCD screen. The MOVIE button is within easy reach on the camera's top panel, and a durable HDMI Type-A terminal ensures reliable connections to external monitors. The item arrangement and initial settings on the mode dial have also been adjusted to meet the needs of pro users.
Dedicated settings menu for movie shooting
A subset of the camera's settings can be changed independently for movie or still shooting, which can be useful if you want to use different ISO, Iris (aperture) and other settings depending on the shooting mode. Another convenient feature is the use of Flexible Exposure Mode instead of normal PASM Mode when Movie or S&Q mode is selected. This allows quick switching between auto and manual control of Iris (aperture) and shutter speed, and the function can be assigned to a custom button to allow one-touch toggling between auto and manual.
Fast Hybrid AF for still shots
The Fast Hybrid AF uses a high-density array of 759 phase-detection AF points (covering around 93% of the imaging area) in conjunction with 425-point contrast-detection AF. Real-time Eye AF (for humans and animals) and Real-time Tracking features are also available for the first time in the S series. Advanced AF algorithms facilitate precise AF down to light levels as low as EV-6, for accurate focus even when the subject would be difficult to see clearly with the naked eye.
High-speed continuous shooting performance
Mechanical and electronic shutters are each capable of continuous shooting at up to 10fps with AF/AE. Continuous shooting of over 1000 uncompressed RAW images is possible thanks to increases in the buffer memory of the BIONZ XR processor and memory-card writing speed.
Enhanced image quality for stills
The new image sensor and image-processing engine deliver an extraordinary degree of sensitivity, a defining characteristic of the S series, and significantly better reproduction of colour and textural details. Improved rendering capability provides realistic-looking images with reduced noise, particularly in the mid-to-high sensitivity range. A new Visible Light and IR Sensor improves auto white balance, and HEIF file options and an HLG Still Image Mode (for 8-bit and 10-bit HEIF stills) have been added.
Creative Look feature to set the mood and atmosphere
The new Creative Look feature is a quick way to establish a particular mood in still shots and movies by altering parameters like brightness, contrast and colour saturation. Ten Creative Look presets are available in-camera, and each of these can be used as is, or further customised using eight individual parameter settings. Custom Creative Look settings can be easily saved and stored for later use.
Two CFexpress Type A-compatible media slots
The camera's two media slots are compatible with new CFexpress Type A cards as well as SDXC/SDHC cards supporting UHS-I and UHS-II speed classes. CFexpress Type A cards are the next standard for compact storage with fast write/read speeds suitable for both high-speed continuous still shooting and 4K movie recording at high bit rates. They are capable of quickly clearing camera buffers even when high volumes of still image and movie data are being generated.
High-definition 9.44 million-dot electronic viewfinder
Boasting the highest resolution in its class, the a7S III's viewfinder rivals the resolution of the human eye. It provides category-leading 0.90x viewfinder magnification, a 41º diagonal field of view, and a 25mm high eyepoint for clear, low-distortion viewing. Improvements in sealing greatly reduce the chance that even drastic ambient temperature fluctuations will cause interior condensation.
New touch-driven menu with workflow-based navigation
Responding to requests from pro photographers and videographers, the menu structure has been designed to allow professionals to work more efficiently. Menu tabs are on the left side of the display, while parameter groups and parameters related to the selected tab appear on the right. Up to three levels can be displayed together, making the menu structure more clearly visible. Touch-responsive menu operations enable fast, intuitive control.
10-bit 4:2:2 recordingRecord right on the camera with the amazing richness of 10-bit depth and 4:2:2 colour sampling, for far greater flexibility in image grading, post-processing and compositing.
Movie-shooting comfortResponding to feedback from professional users, the MOVIE button has been moved to the top face for improved operability in any shooting position. Mode dial ordering and speed of switching have also been improved.
Vari-angle LCD monitor for comfortable movie shootingThe variable-angle 1.44 million-dot17 3.0-type touch screen features a side-open design, for flexible positioning and improved visibility when mounting on gimbals or rigs.
- ISO Sensitivity Still images: ISO 80-102400 (ISO numbers up from ISO 40 to ISO 409600 can be set as expanded ISO range.), Movies: ISO 80-102400 equivalent (ISO numbers up to ISO 409600 can be set as expanded ISO range.)
- Sensor 35mm full frame (35.6 x 23.8mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor
Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Number Of Pixels (Effective) Approx. 12.1 megapixels
- Number of Pixels (total) Approx. 12.9 megapixels
- Sensor Type 35mm full frame (35.6x23.8mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Silent Shooting Yes (ON/OFF)
- Shutter Type Mechanical shutter/Electronic shutter
- Shutter Speed Still images: 1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb, Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4 (1/3 steps), up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode)
- Flash Sync. Speed 1/250
- Electronic Front Shutter Curtain Yes (ON/OFF)
- Touch Screen Yes
- Total Number of Dots 1,440,000 dots
- Adjustable Angle Opening Angle:Approx. 176 deg., Rotation Angle:Approx. 270 deg.
- Screen Type 7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT
- Speaker Built-in, monaural
- Microphone Built-in, stereo
- Continues Shooting Continuous shooting: Hi+: 10 fps, Hi: 8 fps, Mid: 6 fps, Lo: 3 fps
- Exposure Modes AUTO(iAuto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Movie (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) / Flexible Exp. Mode), Slow & Quick Motion (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) / Flexible Exp. Mode)
- Focus Type On-sensor Phase Detect + Contrast Detect
- Focus Point 759 Phase-Detect + 425 Contrast Detect
- Focus Mode AF-A (Automatic AF), AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C (Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus
- Focus Area Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot / Expanded Flexible Spot / Tracking
- AF Illuminator -
- EYE AF [Still images] Human (Right/Left Eye Select) / Animal, [Movie] Human (Right/Left Eye Select)
- PC Interface Yes (SuperSpeed USB 5Gbps (USB 3.2) compatible) (Available with USB Type-C Terminal. USB Power Delivery compatible)
- NFC™ Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible)
- Multi Interface Shoe Multi Interface Shoe
- HD Output HDMI connector (Type-A), 3840 x 2160 (60p / 50p / 30p / 25p / 24p) / 1920 x 1080 (60p / 50p / 24p) / 1920 x 1080 (60i / 50i), YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit / RGB 8bit | 4264 x 2408 (60p / 50p / 30p / 25p / 24p) Raw 16bit
- Functions FTP Transfer Func.,View on Smartphone,Remote control via Smartphone,NFC One-touch remote,PC Remote,BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI),PhotoTV HD
- White Balance Modes Auto / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluorescent / Flash / Underwater / Color Temperature (2500 to 9900K) & color filter / Custom
- Playback Modes HDMI connector (Type-A), 3840 x 2160 (60p / 50p / 30p / 25p / 24p) / 1920 x 1080 (60p / 50p / 24p) / 1920 x 1080 (60i / 50i), YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit / RGB 8bit | 4264 x 2408 (60p / 50p / 30p / 25p / 24p) Raw 16bit
Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Approx. 510 shots (Viewfinder) / Approx. 600 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- Power consumption with Viewfinder Still images: Approx. 4.3W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached), Movies: Approx. 7.6W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Supplied Battery One rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100
- Recording Format (Movie) XAVC S-I, XAVC HS, XAVC S
- Image Size (pixels), PAL XAVC S-I 4K: 3840 x 2160 [4:2:2 10bit (50p/500Mbps, 25p/250Mbps)] | XAVC S-I HD: 1920x1080 [4:2:2 10bit (50p/185Mbps, 25p/93Mbps)] | XAVC HS 4K: 3840x2160 [4:2:0 10bit (100p/200Mbps, 50p/150Mbps/75Mbps/45Mbps), 4:2:2 10bit (100p/280Mbps, 50p/200Mbps/100Mbps)] | XAVC S 4K: 3840x2160 [4:2:2 10bit (100p/280Mbps, 50p/200Mbps, 25p/140Mbps)], [4:2:0 8bit (100p/200Mbps, 50p/150Mbps, 25p/100Mbps/60Mbps)] | XAVC S HD: 1920x1080 [4:2:2 10bit (50p/50Mbps, 25p/50Mbps), 4:2:0 8bit (100p/100Mbps/60Mbps, 50p/50Mbps/25Mbps, 25p/50Mbps/16Mbps)]
- Audio Recording Format LPCM 2ch(48kHz 16bit), LPCM 2ch(48kHz 24bit) , LPCM 4ch(48kHz 24bit) , MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Creative Look ST, PT, NT, VV, VV2, FL, IN, SH, BW, SE, Custom Look (1-6)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC Hs 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (200Mbps), 60p (150Mbps / 75Mbps / 45Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 50Mbps / 30Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (200Mbps), 50p (150Mbps / 75Mbps / 45Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (280Mbps), 60p (200Mbps / 100Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 50Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (280Mbps), 50p (200Mbps / 100Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 8bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (200Mbps), 60p (150Mbps), 30p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 60Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 8bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (200Mbps), 50p (150Mbps), 25p (100Mbps / 60Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (280Mbps), 60p (200Mbps), 30p (140Mbps), 24p (100Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (280Mbps), 50p (200Mbps), 25p (140Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S HD) 1920 x 1080 (4:2:0, 8bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 60p (50Mbps / 25Mbps), 30p (50Mbps / 16Mbps), 24p (50Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:0, 8bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 50p (50Mbps / 25Mbps), 25p (50Mbps / 16Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (50Mbps), 30p (50Mbps), 24p (50Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (50Mbps), 25p (50Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S-I 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (600Mbps), 30p (300Mbps), 24p (240Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (500Mbps), 25p (250Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S-I HD) 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (222Mbps), 30p (111Mbps), 24p (89Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (185Mbps), 25p (93Mbps)
Recording (still images)
- Recording Format JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver. 2.32, MPF Baseline compliant), HEIF (MPEG-A MIAF compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 4.0 format compliant)
- Image Quality Modes RAW (Compressed / Uncompressed), JPEG (Extra fine / Fine / Standard), HEIF (4:2:0 / 4:2:2) (Extra fine / Fine / Standard), RAW & JPEG, RAW & HEIF
- Creative Style ST, PT, NT, VV, VV2, FL, IN, SH, BW, SE, Custom Look (1-6)
- Creative Look ST, PT, NT, VV, VV2, FL, IN, SH, BW, SE, Custom Look (1-6)
- Storage Media Slot 2x Multi slot: CFexpress Type A memory card, SDXC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant), SDHC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant), SD memory card
- Compatible Recording Media CFexpress Type A memory card, SDXC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant), SDHC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant), SD memory card
- Number of Dots 9,437,184 dots
- Field Coverage 100%
- Viewfinder Type 1.6 cm (0.64 type) electronic viewfinder (color)
- Display Function Histogram, Real-time image-adjustment display, Digital level gauge, Grid line, Focus check, Peaking MF, Zebra, Movie marker, Emph disp dur REC
- Wireless and Network Capabilities Yes (Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz band/5GHz band))
What's In The Box
- In the Box Accessories Rechargeable Battery NP-FZ100, Battery Charger BC-QZ1, Power cord, Cable Protector, Shoulder strap, Body cap, Accessory shoe cap, Eyepiece cup, USB-A to USB-C cable (USB 3.2)
Size and Weight
- Width (cm) 0.00
- Height (cm) 0.00
- Weight (kg) 0.00
- Released 2020
*Sony tested conditions. Rec Format: XAVC S-I (All-I) 4K 60p 4:2:2 10bit, Temperature: 25 deg C (ambient, camera when recording started). The duration will vary depending on the shooting conditions.
*As of July 2020 product announcement. Compared to interchangeable lens digital cameras, Sony survey
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs