Alpha 7S III Digital E-Mount Camera with Full Frame Sensor (Body only)
- High-performance hybrid autofocus optimised for still or video capture
- Newly developed 12.1MP sensor and new BIONZ XR
Request a price match
An identical model
The product must be a matching brand, model number and colour to be eligible.
Available to purchase
We may match selected local retailers (including their online prices) once verified and item must in stock or pre-order online or in store.
Not shown on our exclusions list
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, competitor’s service prices, special or hourly sales, bonus buy offers.
See our full list of exclusions
A local retailer
The retailer must have a local business number (ABN/ACN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Find a Qualifying Product
While online, find a qualifying product from a local retailer's website that would like to request a price match from. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Fill out the form to request a Price Match
On selected pages, fill out the form and submit your request. Note, some models are excluded.
Please be prepared to direct our support staff to the ad or website that is displaying the current lower price you would like to match.
Should your price match request be successful, we will contact you and update your shopping cart. Make sure to create/sign into your account and add the product to cart to make this quicker.
Find a Qualifying Product
Find a qualifying product that you want Sony to price match from a local retailer. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Price Match In Store
Take your catalogue, flyer, or printed email into one of our Sony Stores to request a price match.
Imaging Edge Webcam lets you connect your Sony camera to your personal computer, and use the camera as a webcam with a livestreaming/web conferencing service.
For visual trailblazers
With extreme full-frame movie performance including high sensitivity (expanded ISO up to 409600), 15-stop wide dynamic range, 4K 120p1, fast and dependable autofocusing, and extra-strong image stabilisation, the α7S III again raises the bar for movie makers.
External flash control from the camera body
It is now possible to configure the settings of a compatible attached flash or Wireless Radio Commander (both sold separately) from the camera. Most settings, including light output, can be accessed and easily changed directly from a camera menu, for high-performance flash control with these genuine Sony accessories. Flash parameters are shown in the selected camera display language.
Imaging Edge Desktop
Elevate your photography with Imaging Edge Desktop applications. Use 'Remote' to control and monitor shooting live on your PC screen; 'Viewer' to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and 'Edit' to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.
Capture One for Sony
Capture One Express (for Sony) is free award-winning editing software that provides RAW development, easy management and powerful editing tools. Capture One Pro (for Sony) is also available for even more editing tools and remote shooting capability.
USB Power Delivery
The camera supports USB PD (Power Delivery), to enable continuous shooting for extended periods without draining the internal battery. PD-compatible USB chargers and mobile batteries can be connected to the camera's USB Type C port, to supply power or to recharge the internal battery at 3 to 4 times the speed of conventional power supplies.
AF support in manual-focus mode
The camera's autofocus support can be useful even when you're primarily using manual focus. For full AF speed, half-press the shutter button or press the AF-ON button, as you would when shooting stills. Alternatively, slower, more cinematic AF transitions can be achieved by initiating AF via the touch focus feature or Real-time Eye AF via a custom button assignment, resulting in slow, smooth autofocus at the preset AF Transition Speed.
Game-changing tracking features to revolutionise movie shooting
Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF make movie-making much easier. Touch Tracking initiates subject tracking with an intuitive touch to the LCD monitor, processing data on colour, pattern (brightness), distance (depth) and facial information to keep your subject in steady focus. You can then concentrate more fully on composition, which can be especially useful when you're shooting solo or using a gimbal. Touch operations can be used to temporarily engage AF even when you're shooting manually.
Active Mode optical image stabilisation for handheld shooting
Relying on a new high-precision stabilisation unit, gyro sensors, and optimised image stabilisation algorithms, the camera's Optical SteadyShot<sup>TM</sup> Active Mode provides the precise degree of optical image compensation needed during movie shooting, even for 4K video. With this unprecedented level of stabilisation it's possible to shoot with the camera only, taking advantage of the compact size and mobility of the a system.  Track of camera shake  Standard  Active
Enhanced audio quality
A digital audio interface is incorporated in the camera's Multi Interface (MI) Shoe, to facilitate cleaner, clearer audio recordings without loss of quality. The XLR-K3M XLR Adaptor Kit additionally provides the camera with 4-channel 24-bit digital audio recording capability. Three recording formats can be selected from a menu: 48 kHz/16-bit 2-ch, 48 kHz/24-bit 2-ch, and 48 kHz/24-bit 4-ch, with the XLR-K3M XLR Adaptor Kit required for the latter two formats.
New heat-dissipation design for extended recording times
The camera's design has been optimised to prevent overheating even during extended recording sessions. A unique Sony S (sigma) shaped graphite-alloy heatsink is built into the image stabilisation unit, allowing the sensor to dissipate heat five times more effectively than in previous models, while allowing it to move freely and avoiding interference with the stabilisation system.
Designed for smooth movie-making
Flexibility in positioning the camera and framing shots is provided by the side-opening, vari-angle monitor, which incorporates a bright 3.0-type, 1.44 million-dot LCD screen. The MOVIE button is within easy reach on the camera's top panel, and a durable HDMI Type-A terminal ensures reliable connections to external monitors. The item arrangement and initial settings on the mode dial have also been adjusted to meet the needs of pro users.
New image sensor with double the readout speed
The newly developed back-illuminated full-frame Exmor R<sup>TM</sup> CMOS sensor, with 12.1 effective megapixels, boasts a readout speed up to twice as fast as that of the a7S II, along with high sensitivity and wide dynamic range. An advanced colour filter array boosts colour reproduction accuracy, while focal plane phase-detection AF enables substantial increases in autofocus stability and precision, all of which contribute to outstanding image quality.
New image-processing engine with up to 8x the processing performance
The BIONZ XR<sup>TM</sup> image-processing engine boasts a performance level up to eight times that of the previous processor, minimising latency while markedly improving real-time processing capabilities for both movies and stills. The engine performs real-time processing of AF, image recognition and image-quality adjustments, while also handling data transfer, user interface and other camera operations.
High sensitivity, wide dynamic range
The full-frame 12.1-megapixel configuration enables high sensitivity with low noise throughout the camera's sensitivity range by optimising the output signal from the sensor. The standard ISO range is 80-102400, which is further expandable to 40-409600 (80-409600 for movies). The dynamic range is an impressively wide 15 stops, for beautiful, true-to-life images without blown highlights. Together, the camera's high sensitivity and wide dynamic range expand your creative freedom during shoots.
Full-frame 4K recording at 120p
Full-frame 4K recording at 120fps with autofocus is possible thanks to the high-speed readout capabilities of the new image sensor working in tandem with the newly developed, powerful BIONZ XR processor. This high image-quality 4K, with full-pixel readout without binning, allows for clear post-produced slow motion (up to x5 slower than real time), as well as bokeh effects typical of full-frame cameras, all with smooth, high-precision autofocus. Despite the a7S III's compact size, it provides impressive scope for your creativity.
Recording movies with 10-bit depth and 4:2:2 colour sampling
The camera is capable of performing 4K internal recording with 10-bit depth and 4:2:2 colour sampling when using either Long GOP or All Intra compression. This makes it possible to push your colour grades further, stretching video out for ultimate HDR realism while still retaining natural gradation, for true editing freedom.
All-Intra internal recording
In addition to Long GOP inter-frame compression, the a7S III supports internal intra-frame (All-Intra) recording for the first time in an a-model body, where each frame is recorded independently at a high bitrate of up to 600Mbps. This can be useful for certain types of shoots as it allows maximum flexibility in post-production editing.  All-Intra (All-I)  Long GoP  Group of Pictures
HEVC codec with high compression efficiency
Available for the first time, XAVC HS format recording using the MPEG-H HEVC/H.265 codec roughly doubles the compression efficiency. Compared to a normal 4K XAVC S format, XAVC HS allows for detailed 10-bit video with 4:2:2 colour sampling at comparable or lower data rates, delivering even better image quality as well as manageable file sizes.
Data communications to support on-site workflow
Wired and wireless communications features support FTP transfer for still and movie files as well as remote shooting capability, to facilitate professional workflows during shoots. Wireless 5GHz/2.4GHz LAN connections are supported, and wired connectivity to 1000BASE-T Ethernet networks is available via a USB-to-Ethernet adaptor cable connected to the camera's USB Type C port supporting SuperSpeed USB 5Gbps (USB 3.2). Remote shooting can be controlled from a PC with Sony's Imaging Edge Desktop<sup>TM</sup> application, or from a mobile device with Imaging Edge Mobile<sup>TM</sup>.
10-bit HLG picture profile
An HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) HDR picture profile, complete with the wide-gamut BT.2020 colour space, can be used for direct HDR (HLG) playback on compatible TVs. The result is true-to-life imagery close to what the naked eye can see, with detailed shadows and highlights, less blackout and less whiteout, all without the need for colour grading. In particular, 10-bit recordings reproduce a level of fine gradation and detail for extraordinary realism.  High flexibility to fine-tune images as desired (colour grading required)  Instant high-quality image (colour grading not required)
Enhanced movie image quality
Thanks to the improved capabilities of the a7S III's new image-processing engine, colours and textures of foliage and human skin can be more consistently reproduced without over-dependence on light sources. Gradation rendering has also been refined, for better-looking skin tones and highlight roll-off in portraits. When shooting 4K, the new image sensor and processing engine reduce rolling shutter distortion to as little as one-third that of the a7S II.
Fast Hybrid AF for dependable focus during movie shooting
Inheriting technology and performance standards from Sony's large-format FX9 pro camcorder, Fast Hybrid AF combines focal plane phase-detection AF with contrast-detection AF. This results in highly precise, smooth tracking of fast-moving subjects even over a wide range with a shallow depth of field, taking full advantage of Sony E-mount lenses' smooth linear-motor focusing and power-zoom operations. Newly added AF Transition Speed and AF Subject Shift Sensitivity parameters allow more flexible focus control, as requested by professional users. Both allow preset settings to be recalled during recording by using a customisable button.
16-bit RAW data output
Facilitating improved image quality and more flexible and efficient editing in post production, the camera supports 16-bit RAW data output to an external recorder via HDMI, for the first time in the a series. The output is full-frame 4264 x 2408 (16:9 aspect ratio) 16-bit data from the image sensor, with a choice of frame rates (60p/50p/30p/25p/24p).
S-Log2 and S-Log3 with 10bit 4:2:2 support
S-Log2 and S-Log3 gamma curves are available, with S-Log3 designed for better reproduction of gradations from shadows to the mid-grey range (18% grey), enabling a dynamic range of up to 15 stops. Three colour gamut settings (S-Gamut, S-Gamut3, and S-Gamut3.Cine) are provided, and the latter two settings make it easier to match the colours of footage shot with Sony's professional cinema cameras. Because the colours match, colour grading is easier in post-production editing, making it more convenient to use the a7S III along with other pro cameras.
10-bit 4:2:2 recordingRecord right on the camera with the amazing richness of 10-bit depth and 4:2:2 colour sampling, for far greater flexibility in image grading, post-processing and compositing.
Movie-shooting comfortResponding to feedback from professional users, the MOVIE button has been moved to the top face for improved operability in any shooting position. Mode dial ordering and speed of switching have also been improved.
Vari-angle LCD monitor for comfortable movie shootingThe variable-angle 1.44 million-dot17 3.0-type touch screen features a side-open design, for flexible positioning and improved visibility when mounting on gimbals or rigs.
- Sensor 35mm full frame (35.6 x 23.8mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Sensor Type Full Frame
- ISO Sensitivity Still images: ISO 80-102400 (ISO numbers up from ISO 40 to ISO 409600 can be set as expanded ISO range.), Movies: ISO 80-102400 equivalent (ISO numbers up to ISO 409600 can be set as expanded ISO range.)
Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Number Of Pixels (Effective) 12MP
- Number of Pixels (total) Approx. 12.9 megapixels
- Silent Shooting Yes (ON/OFF)
- Shutter Type Mechanical shutter/Electronic shutter
- Shutter Speed Still images: 1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb, Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4 (1/3 steps), up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode)
- Flash Sync. Speed 1/250
- Electronic Front Shutter Curtain Yes (ON/OFF)
- Touch Screen Yes
- Total Number of Dots 1,440,000 dots
- Adjustable Angle Opening Angle:Approx. 176 deg., Rotation Angle:Approx. 270 deg.
- Screen Type 7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT
- Speaker Built-in, monaural
- Microphone Built-in, stereo
- Continues Shooting Continuous shooting: Hi+: 10 fps, Hi: 8 fps, Mid: 6 fps, Lo: 3 fps
- Exposure Modes AUTO(iAuto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Movie (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) / Flexible Exp. Mode), Slow & Quick Motion (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) / Flexible Exp. Mode)
- Focus Type On-sensor Phase Detect + Contrast Detect
- Focus Point 759 Phase-Detect + 425 Contrast Detect
- Focus Mode AF-A (Automatic AF), AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C (Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus
- Focus Area Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot / Expanded Flexible Spot / Tracking
- AF Illuminator -
- EYE AF [Still images] Human (Right/Left Eye Select) / Animal, [Movie] Human (Right/Left Eye Select)
- PC Interface Yes (SuperSpeed USB 5Gbps (USB 3.2) compatible) (Available with USB Type-C Terminal. USB Power Delivery compatible)
- NFC™ Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible)
- Multi Interface Shoe Multi Interface Shoe
- HD Output HDMI connector (Type-A), 3840 x 2160 (60p / 50p / 30p / 25p / 24p) / 1920 x 1080 (60p / 50p / 24p) / 1920 x 1080 (60i / 50i), YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit / RGB 8bit | 4264 x 2408 (60p / 50p / 30p / 25p / 24p) Raw 16bit
- Functions FTP Transfer Func.,View on Smartphone,Remote control via Smartphone,NFC One-touch remote,PC Remote,BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI),PhotoTV HD
- White Balance Modes Auto / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluorescent / Flash / Underwater / Color Temperature (2500 to 9900K) & color filter / Custom
- Playback Modes HDMI connector (Type-A), 3840 x 2160 (60p / 50p / 30p / 25p / 24p) / 1920 x 1080 (60p / 50p / 24p) / 1920 x 1080 (60i / 50i), YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit / RGB 8bit | 4264 x 2408 (60p / 50p / 30p / 25p / 24p) Raw 16bit
Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Approx. 510 shots (Viewfinder) / Approx. 600 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- Power consumption with Viewfinder Still images: Approx. 4.3W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached), Movies: Approx. 7.6W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Supplied Battery One rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100
- Recording Format (Movie) XAVC S-I, XAVC HS, XAVC S
- Image Size (pixels), PAL XAVC S-I 4K: 3840 x 2160 [4:2:2 10bit (50p/500Mbps, 25p/250Mbps)] | XAVC S-I HD: 1920x1080 [4:2:2 10bit (50p/185Mbps, 25p/93Mbps)] | XAVC HS 4K: 3840x2160 [4:2:0 10bit (100p/200Mbps, 50p/150Mbps/75Mbps/45Mbps), 4:2:2 10bit (100p/280Mbps, 50p/200Mbps/100Mbps)] | XAVC S 4K: 3840x2160 [4:2:2 10bit (100p/280Mbps, 50p/200Mbps, 25p/140Mbps)], [4:2:0 8bit (100p/200Mbps, 50p/150Mbps, 25p/100Mbps/60Mbps)] | XAVC S HD: 1920x1080 [4:2:2 10bit (50p/50Mbps, 25p/50Mbps), 4:2:0 8bit (100p/100Mbps/60Mbps, 50p/50Mbps/25Mbps, 25p/50Mbps/16Mbps)]
- Audio Recording Format LPCM 2ch(48kHz 16bit), LPCM 2ch(48kHz 24bit) , LPCM 4ch(48kHz 24bit) , MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Creative Look ST, PT, NT, VV, VV2, FL, IN, SH, BW, SE, Custom Look (1-6)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC Hs 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (200Mbps), 60p (150Mbps / 75Mbps / 45Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 50Mbps / 30Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (200Mbps), 50p (150Mbps / 75Mbps / 45Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (280Mbps), 60p (200Mbps / 100Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 50Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (280Mbps), 50p (200Mbps / 100Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 8bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (200Mbps), 60p (150Mbps), 30p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 60Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 8bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (200Mbps), 50p (150Mbps), 25p (100Mbps / 60Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (280Mbps), 60p (200Mbps), 30p (140Mbps), 24p (100Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (280Mbps), 50p (200Mbps), 25p (140Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S HD) 1920 x 1080 (4:2:0, 8bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 60p (50Mbps / 25Mbps), 30p (50Mbps / 16Mbps), 24p (50Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:0, 8bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 50p (50Mbps / 25Mbps), 25p (50Mbps / 16Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (50Mbps), 30p (50Mbps), 24p (50Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (50Mbps), 25p (50Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S-I 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (600Mbps), 30p (300Mbps), 24p (240Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (500Mbps), 25p (250Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S-I HD) 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (222Mbps), 30p (111Mbps), 24p (89Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (185Mbps), 25p (93Mbps)
Recording (still images)
- Recording Format JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver. 2.32, MPF Baseline compliant), HEIF (MPEG-A MIAF compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 4.0 format compliant)
- Image Quality Modes RAW (Compressed / Uncompressed), JPEG (Extra fine / Fine / Standard), HEIF (4:2:0 / 4:2:2) (Extra fine / Fine / Standard), RAW & JPEG, RAW & HEIF
- Creative Style ST, PT, NT, VV, VV2, FL, IN, SH, BW, SE, Custom Look (1-6)
- Creative Look ST, PT, NT, VV, VV2, FL, IN, SH, BW, SE, Custom Look (1-6)
- Storage Media Slot 2x Multi slot: CFexpress Type A memory card, SDXC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant), SDHC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant), SD memory card
- Compatible Recording Media CFexpress Type A memory card, SDXC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant), SDHC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant), SD memory card
- Number of Dots 9,437,184 dots
- Field Coverage 100%
- Viewfinder Type 1.6 cm (0.64 type) electronic viewfinder (color)
- Display Function Histogram, Real-time image-adjustment display, Digital level gauge, Grid line, Focus check, Peaking MF, Zebra, Movie marker, Emph disp dur REC
- Wireless and Network Capabilities Yes (Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz band/5GHz band))
- Web Camera Compatible Yes
Size and Weight
- Width (cm) 15.00
- Height (cm) 14.00
- Weight (kg) 1.66
- Carton Width (cm) 15.00
- Carton Height (cm) 26.00
- Carton Weight (kg) 3.60
- Released 2020
*Sony tested conditions. Rec Format: XAVC S-I (All-I) 4K 60p 4:2:2 10bit, Temperature: 25 deg C (ambient, camera when recording started). The duration will vary depending on the shooting conditions.
*As of July 2020 product announcement. Compared to interchangeable lens digital cameras, Sony survey
When you purchase a Sony product, you have the peace of mind in knowing that your product is covered by Sony's Standard Warranty provided by Sony Australia Limited (for Australian purchases) and Sony New Zealand Limited (for New Zealand purchases)
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs