Request a price match
An identical model
The product must be a matching brand, model number and colour to be eligible.
Available to purchase
We may match selected local retailers (including their online prices) once verified and item must in stock or pre-order online or in store.
Not shown on our exclusions list
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, competitor’s service prices, special or hourly sales, bonus buy offers.
See our full list of exclusions
A local retailer
The retailer must have a local business number (ABN/ACN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Find a Qualifying Product
While online, find a qualifying product from a local retailer's website that would like to request a price match from. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Fill out the form to request a Price Match
On selected pages, fill out the form and submit your request. Note, some models are excluded.
Please be prepared to direct our support staff to the ad or website that is displaying the current lower price you would like to match.
Should your price match request be successful, we will contact you and update your shopping cart. Make sure to create/sign into your account and add the product to cart to make this quicker.
Find a Qualifying Product
Find a qualifying product that you want Sony to price match from a local retailer. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Price Match In Store
Take your catalogue, flyer, or printed email into one of our Sony Stores to request a price match.
Capture the previously uncatchable
A game-changing image sensor from Sony makes conventional camera mechanisms redundant, achieving speed and performance that are beyond the capabilities of mechanical devices. What’s more, freedom from mechanical noise and vibration opens up a vast new world of imaging opportunities.
Learn and be inspired while exploring our Image Gallery. Images are captured on Sony cameras and lenses.
- 35mm full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with integral memory for high speed
- High-speed continuous shooting at up to 20fps
- Enhanced Fast Hybrid AF with wide AF coverage featuring 693-point focal-plane phase-detection AF
TIPA Best Mirrorless CSC Professional High Speed 2018The 24MP α9 delivers on all counts with a 20 fps rate with full AF and a buffer that can handle an incredible 241 (compressed) Raw or 362 JPEG frames, all with no viewfinder blackout during continuous shooting TIPA WORLD AWARDS 2018 Read Review
Renewed operability and My Menu
Set up your camera for peak performance and instant ability to capture unique moments. My Menu allows menu items to be registered for instant recall, and you can also create your own original custom menu to suit your needs. In addition, custom button assignments let you customise the camera interface to perfectly match your individual shooting preferences. Up to 72 functions can be assigned. Moreover, stacked drive mode and focus mode dials provide fast access, AF-ON button offers a handy means to activate autofocus by simple pressing when shooting stills or movies, and multi-selector can be used as an efficient way to shift AF points.
3.0-type 1440k-dot LCD screen
Take charge of a9 performance with this 3.0-type LCD touch screen, featuring 1440k dots for enhanced resolution and detailed viewing. Convenient Touch Focus feature also allows you to freely choose an area of focus by simply touching on the LCD screen. The screen tilts as much as 107º upwards and 41º downwards for flexible hold and framing.
New full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with integral memory
a9 is the mirrorless camera that delivers next-generation high-speed performance far exceeding SLRs. It's equipped with the world's first 35mm stacked CMOS image sensor with integral memory for 20 times faster overall readout speed. This 24.2MP image sensor achieves high sensitivity of up to ISO 204800 (extended) with the design of back-illuminated structure. (1) Pixel area (2) Integral memory (3) Hi-speed signal processing circuit (4) Image processing engine
High-speed BIONZ X image processing engine
Achieving processing speed beyond the previous model, BIONZ X image processing engine is optimised for speed to reliably capture fast-moving subjects and realise continuous shooting of up to 20fps. Due to the newly developed image-processing algorithm, you can capture high-quality images with less noise all across the sensitivity range while maintaining natural details.
20fps continuous shooting with AF/AE tracking
A combination of groundbreaking high-speed full-frame Exmor RS CMOS sensor and high-speed BIONZ X processor enables 20fps continuous shooting without a break for as many as 362 shots. Thanks to the capability of displaying subjects nearly as naturally as they appear in reality, EVF lets you "sync" your intentions with camera behaviour.
693-point focal-plane phase-detection AF
a9 brings you 693 phase-detection AF points in a high-density focal-plane AF system, providing distinctively wide and dense AF point coverage over approximately 93% of the image area. This enables more accurate, efficient, and reliable focus on subjects throughout the frame.
Enhanced Eye AF
Eye AF can capture intriguing facial expressions with enhanced accuracy through 30% improved precision of eye detection. This enhanced feature automatically focuses on and even tracks focus on a subject's eye as the face moves or turns to a 3/4 view, extending your freedom to frame a great shot.
FTP transfer via LAN terminal on the camera body
Using a new terminal for wired LAN connection, you can conveniently transfer still image files to a specified FTP server for viewing and management as needed. A wired LAN connection gives you the highest possible transfer speeds for large image files - an ideal solution for studio photography. Moreover, since FTPS (File Transfer Protocol over SSL/TLS) is supported, image files can be encrypted with SSL or TLS while being transferred, assuring a higher level of security.
Supported in Capture One Express (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is one of the world's best RAW converters, rendering precise colours and incredible detail. It contains flexible digital asset management, all the essential adjustment tools, and fast, responsive performance in one customisable and integrated solution. Note: Please contact Phase One regarding all inquiries as to usage and support including functional compatibility of Capture One Express (for Sony).
Fast shutter release at 1/32000 sec., achieved silently
Explore the advantages of a high-speed silent shutter that is fully digital - without a physical mechanism. A result of Sony's image sensor innovation, this shutter achieves speeds up to 1/32000 sec., beyond the limits of mechanical systems. High curtain speed of the electronic shutter suppresses rolling shutter effect and shows excellent performance in capturing moving subjects during sports and other fast-moving activities.
Efficient workflow and professional reliabilityIn addition to a magnesium alloy body that assures the camera’s all-around toughness and reliability, largely amplified versatile features enhance operability, supporting severe usage in professional photography.
Battery stamina for professional useA newly developed NP-FZ100 battery offers approximately twice the life of the previous NP-FW50. Capture up to approx. 480 still frames on one charge — and further increase the number of shots with an attached optional vertical grip (sold separately) that can hold two batteries.
Dual media slots, UHS-II supportWith two media slots, including one that's UHS-II-compatible for fast data writing, the α9 can record simultaneously or in relay, separate RAW and JPEG data, separate still shots and movies, and copy data between cards.
Support for FTP background transferTo meet the professional's demand for immediate delivery of images, the camera now supports FTP background transfer while shooting continues or after shooting finishes. The transfer method and the filtering methods have been improved to make it easier to specify which files you wish to transfer.
- Lens Compatibility Sony E-mount lenses
- Lens Mount E-mount
- Mount E-mount
- ISO Sensitivity [Still images] Mechanical Shutter: ISO 100-51200 (ISO numbers up from ISO 50 to ISO 204800 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit), Electronic Shutter: ISO 100-25600 (ISO numbers up from ISO 50 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit), [Movies] ISO 100-51200 equivalent (ISO numbers up to ISO 102400 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Number Of Pixels (Effective) 24.2 MP
- Sensor Type 35 mm
- Screen Type 7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT
- Continues Shooting AUTO/Electronic Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi: max. 20 fps, Mid: max. 10fps, Lo: max. 5 fps Mechanical Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi: max. 5 fps, Mid: max. 5fps, Lo: max. 2.5 fps
- AF Illuminator -
Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Approx. 480 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 650 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- Power consumption with Viewfinder Still images: approx. 4.1W(with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached), Movies: approx5.3W(with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Supplied Battery One rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100
- Viewfinder Type 1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder (color),Quad-VGA OLED
Size and Weight
- Carton Width (cm) 16.00
- Carton Height (cm) 26.00
- Carton Weight (kg) 3.90
- Released 2017
Thanks to the version 6.0 (or later) software update, newly developed autofocus capabilities are now available, along with a number of new features to support a variety of shooting conditions and needs.
The feature works by automatically detecting and tracking the eyes of animals that you're photographing, for beautiful pet portraits and wildlife shots.
Version 5.01. 16-05-2019
2. The world’s first as 35mm full-frame stacked CMOS image sensor with integral memory, as of April 2017, based on Sony research.
3. Approximate effective pixels
4. Compared with the front-illuminated CMOS image sensor in the α7 II.
5. “Hi” continuous shooting mode. At shutter speeds of 1/125 sec. or higher. In AF-C mode the maximum continuous frame rate will depend on the shooting mode and lens used. A software update may be required for some lenses. Visit Sony’s support web page for lens compatibility information.
6. Electronic shutter mode. Focus will not track the subject at apertures smaller than F11 (F-numbers higher than F11). The focus point will be fixed at the first frame. Display updating will be slower at slow shutter speeds.
7. At shutter speeds of 1/125 sec. or higher. The number of AF calculations will depend on camera settings and the lens used.
8.Selectable only in S and M modes.
9. Slight distortion may occur in some shooting conditions. See the Sony support website for details. http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/support/ilc/shutter/electronicshutter/index.php?id=pdt
10. Silent shooting is possible when Shutter Type is set to “Electronic” and Audio is set to “Off.”
11. Software update (ver. 5.0 or later) is required.
12. “Tracking” in the menu. “Tracking” must be enabled via the menus beforehand.
13. In AF-S mode.
14. The maximum frame rate will depend on the lens used. Visit Sony's support web page for lens compatibility information. http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/support/ilc/products/ilce9/continuousshooting/amount.php
15. A-mount lenses with SSM or SAM only. When using a Mount Adaptor in the movie mode, adjust the aperture value and the focus manually.
16. Software update scheduled for release in May 2017.
17. A-mount lenses with SSM or SAM only. Users can choose phase-detection AF or contrast-detection AF in AF System menu. “Phase-detection AF” is not available during movie shooting.
18. ISO ranges are as follows: - Mechanical shutter shooting for stills: ISO 100-51200 (expandable to ISO 50-204800) - Electronic shutter shooting for stills: ISO 100-25600 (expandable to ISO 50-25600) - Shooting movies: ISO 100-51200 (expandable to ISO 100-102400)
19. Class 10 or higher SDHC/SDXC memory card required for XAVC S format movie recording. UHS Speed Class U3 required for 100Mbps recording.
20. In 24p recording. Approx. 1.6 times in 30p recording.
21. When the auto or electronic shutter mode is selected the viewfinder frame rate is fixed at 60 fps during continuous shooting.
22. CIPA standards. Pitch/yaw stabilisation only. Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lens. Long exposure NR off.
23. Compared with α7R II.
24. Software update (ver. 4.0 or later) is required.
25. Not all menu parameters can be edited while data is being written to the memory card.
26. Not available when using the viewfinder. The menu Touch Tracking setting must be ON.
27. Not guaranteed to be 100% dust- and moisture-proof.
28. Dust- and moisture-resistant design does not guarantee complete prevention of dust and moisture from entering the camera body.
29. Does not support full functional compatibility with some camera models. See the Sony support site for details: https://www.sony.net/disoft/help
30. Please contact Phase One regarding all inquiries as to usage and support including functional compatibility of Capture One Express (for Sony) and Capture One Pro (for Sony).
31. Final Cut Pro, iMovie, and Mac® are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. The Mac logo is a trademark of Apple Inc.
32. “Hi” continuous shooting mode. At shutter speeds of 1/125 sec. or higher. In AF-C mode the maximum continuous frame rate will depend on the shooting mode and lens used. A software update may be required for some lenses. Visit Sony’s support web page for lens compatibility information. http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/support/ilc/products/ilce9/continuousshooting/index.php?id=pdt
33. Selectable only in S and M modes
34. The LCD screen is turned on, shot once every 30 seconds, operate zoom alternately between W and T ends, flash strobe once every two times, turn power off and on once every ten times.
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs
- ILCE-9/BQ AP2