Alpha 6400 Premium Digital E-Mount Camera with APS-C Sensor (Black Body)
Request a price match
An identical model
The product must be a matching brand, model number and colour to be eligible.
Available to purchase
We may match selected local retailers (including their online prices) once verified and item must in stock or pre-order online or in store.
Not shown on our exclusions list
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, competitor’s service prices, special or hourly sales, bonus buy offers.
See our full list of exclusions
A local retailer
The retailer must have a local business number (ABN/ACN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Find a Qualifying Product
While online, find a qualifying product from a local retailer's website that would like to request a price match from. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Fill out the form to request a Price Match
On selected pages, fill out the form and submit your request. Note, some models are excluded.
Please be prepared to direct our support staff to the ad or website that is displaying the current lower price you would like to match.
Should your price match request be successful, we will contact you and update your shopping cart. Make sure to create/sign into your account and add the product to cart to make this quicker.
Find a Qualifying Product
Find a qualifying product that you want Sony to price match from a local retailer. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Price Match In Store
Take your catalogue, flyer, or printed email into one of our Sony Stores to request a price match.
Adds real-time Eye AF for animals
Allows the operation with the wireless remote commander RMT-P1BT (sold separately)
Improves the overall stability of the camera
Version 2.00. 13-06-2019
Grab the best of life.
Despite its compact size and light weight, the α6400 delivers speedy performance and a range of features you'd expect from a full-frame model. Whether you're taking still shots or movies, creative compositions or everyday selfie shots, you'll enjoy beautiful images that you'll want to share, on the go.
Learn and be inspired while exploring our Image Gallery. Images are captured on Sony cameras and lenses.
- Phenomenal 0.02 sec. AF performance including newly developed Real-time Tracking
- ExmorTMCMOS sensor and BIONZ XTMfor superb image quality
- 180º tiltable LCD touch screen for selfies and vlogging
BEST APS-C CAMERA EXPERT: Sony α6400Sony’s latest 24.2MP APS-C camera delivers an 11 fps framing rate with full AF/AE tracking utilizing 425 phase detection contrast detection points that pair with a new generation Bionz X processor to achieve an impressive 0.02 second AF capture. It has a standard ISO range up to 32,000 for both stills and movies that can be “pushed” to ISO 102,400 for stills. TIPA, 2019 Read Review
The story of the a6400 is really all about the autofocus system. With a high-quality lens attached, the a6400 is a dream camera for casual portraiture. I don't love the ergonomics, but when you hardly have to fiddle with any buttons to get the shot, these sorts of handling frustrations matter much less.Sony a6400 review DP Review, 30 April 2019 Read Review
Custom functions for greater operability
The camera's eight keys and controls can be custom-assigned to any of 89 shooting and replay functions, and frequently used functions can also be assigned to the control dial and control wheel with My Dial. My Menu allows flexible assignment of 30 menu items, and the custom settings screen helps keep track of everything. Help displays are available on the menu screen via a single button.
4K movie recording in high-bit-rate XAVC S format
Super 35mm format, 4K movie recording with full pixel readout and no pixel binning allows oversampling with approx. 2.4x as much information as is required for 4K (QFHD: 3840 x 2160), adding up to the equivalent of 6K and giving these images more realistic depth. High-bit-rate (max. 100Mbps) XAVC S format, a consumer-friendly version of a format for professional use, plus HLG support result in better-looking movies.
User-interface improvements for efficient settings control
A new feature displays frequently used ISO ranges on the ISO setting screen, and another displays frequently used focus-area types on the AF area-setting screen. And when using Flexible Spot mode you can now cycle the AF area up, down, right and left - useful when shooting sporting scenes where the subject moves frequently within the AF area.
Greater control over white-balance settings
If set in advance, auto white balance can now be locked or unlocked at any time, for more consistent colour tones when there are multiple light sources. Custom setting of white balance has been simplified, and you can now select an AWB priority setting when shooting with incandescent lighting - either warmer Atmosphere Priority, or White Priority for purer whites.
More versatile flash functions
When shooting with compatible wireless flash units, rear-curtain sync and slow sync can now be selected, increasing your creative options for lighting.
Easier ratings and protection from deletion
Still images can be given a rating or protected from deletion, and both functions can be accessed via pre-assigned custom keys.
Advances in remote camera control
When doing remote shooting using the Remote app from the Imaging Edge desktop applications, you can now use the overlay display to make precise adjustments to focus and composition while checking the live view on your PC screen.
One-touch remote, One-touch sharing, Location Information Link
The One-touch remote feature turns your mobile device into a viewfinder and remote control, while One-touch sharing allows photos and videos to be transferred to your device for social media sharing. The camera can also acquire location data via Bluetooth. (These mobile device features are available via Sony's Imaging Edge Mobile app.)
Sturdy, durable construction for robust operation
The camera's low-vibration shutter mechanism is designed and tested to withstand around 200,000 shutter cycles, and the body, top cover and front cover use a light but highly rigid magnesium alloy. Major buttons and dials are sealed, and casing components have an interlocked double-layer structure to resist dust and moisture.
Imaging Edge desktop applications
Elevate your photography with the Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use "Remote" to control and monitor shooting live on your PC screen; "Viewer" to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and "Edit" to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.
- Lens Compatibility Sony E-mount lenses
- Lens Mount E-mount
- ISO Sensitivity Still images: ISO 100-32000 (ISO numbers up to ISO 102400 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit), Movies: ISO 100-32000 equivalent, AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
- Sensor APS-C
Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Number Of Pixels (Effective) 24.2 MP
- Number of Pixels (total) 24.2 MP
- Sensor Type APS-C type (23.5 x 15.6mm), Exmor CMOS sensor
- Silent Shooting Yes, On/Off
- Shutter Type Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Shutter Speed Still images:1/4000 to 30 sec, Bulb, , Movies: 1/4000 to 1/4(1/3 steps), up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode)
- Flash Sync. Speed 1/160 sec.
- Electronic Front Shutter Curtain Yes, On/Off
- Total Number of Dots 921,600 dots
- Real-time Image Adjustment Display (LCD) On/Off
- Peaking MF Yes (Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off, Color: White/Red/Yellow)
- LCD Display Graphic Display, Display All Info, No Disp. Info, Digital Level Gauge, Histogram, For viewfinder
- Focus Magnifier Yes Focus Magnifier (5.9x, 11.7x)
- Display Selecter (Finder/LCD) Yes (Auto/Manual)
- Brightness Control (LCD) Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2), Sunny Weather mode
- Adjustable Angle Up by approx. 90 degrees, Down by approx. 45 degrees
- Screen Type 7.5cm (3.0-type) wide type TFT
- Speaker Built-in, monaural
- Microphone Built-in stereo microphone or XLR-K2M/XLR-K1M/ECM-XYST1M(sold separately)
- Memory Function Yes (Body 2 sets /memory card 4 sets)
- Custom Function Type Yes
- Drive Modes Single Shooting, Continuous shooting (Hi+/Hi/Mid/Lo selectable), Self-timer, Self-timer (Cont.), Bracket: Single, Bracket: Cont., White Balance bracket, DRO bracket
- Continues Shooting Continuous shooting: Hi+: 11 fps, Hi: 8 fps, Mid: 6 fps, Lo: 3 fps
- Scene Selection Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Hand-held Twilight, Night Portrait, Anti Motion Blur
- Metering Type 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Sensor Exmor CMOS sensor
- Metering Sensitivity EV-2 to EV20 (at ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Metering Mode Spot (Standard/Large), Entire Screen Avg., Highlight)
- Exposure Modes AUTO (iAuto/Superior Auto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Movie / Sl&Q Motion (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) /Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) ), Sweep Panorama, Scene Selection
- Exposure Compensation +/-5.0 EV (in 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV steps)
- Auto (AE) Bracketing Bracket: Cont., Bracket: Single, 3/5/9 frames selectable. With 3 or 5 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 EV increments, with 9 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1.0 EV increments.
- AE Lock Locked when shutter button is pressed halfway. Available with AE lock button. (On/Off/Auto)
- Wireless Control Yes
- Flash Control (with optional external flash) Built-in flash
- FE Level Lock Yes
- External Flash Compatibility Sony a System Flash compatible with Multi Interface Shoe, attach the shoe adaptor for flash compatible with Auto-lock accessory shoe
- Other Features Eye-start AF (only with LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 attached(Sold separately)), Lock-on AF, Eye AF, AF micro adjustment, (Sold separately), with LA-EA2 or LA-EA4, Predictive control, Focus lock
- Focus Sensitivity Range EV-1 to EV20 (ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Focus Area Wide (425 points (phase-detection AF), 169 points(contrast-detection AF)) / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) /Expanded Flexible Spot/ Lock-on AF ( Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L)/Expanded Flexible Spot)
- AF Illuminator Built-in flash
- PC Interface Mass-storage, MTP, PC remote
- NFC™ Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible)One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Multi Interface Shoe Yes
- HD Output HDMI micro connector (Type-D), BRAVIA Sync(Control for HDMI), PhotoTV HD, 4K movie output/4K still image PB
- Playback Modes Single (with or without shooting information Y RGB histogram & highlight/shadow warning), 12/30-frame index view, Enlarged display mode (L: 16.7x, M: 11.8x, S: 8.3x, Panorama (Standard): 19.2x, Panorama (Wide): 29.1x), Auto Review (10/5/2 sec, Off), Image orientation (Auto/Manual/Off selectable), Slideshow, Panorama scrolling, Folder selection (Date/ Still/ MP4/ AVCHD/XAVC S HD/XAVC S 4K), Forward/Rewind (movie), Delete, Protect
Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Approx. 360 shots (Viewfinder) / Approx. 410 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- Power consumption with Viewfinder Still images: approx. 2.4W (with E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached), Movies: approx. 3.5W (with E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Supplied Battery One rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50
- External Power AC Adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Movies) Movies (actual recording):Approx. 65 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 70 min (LCD monitor) , (CIPA standard)
- Compatible Standards Exif Print, Print Image Matching III, DPOF setting
- Video Compression XAVC S: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, AVCHD: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Recording Format (Movie) XAVC S , AVCHD format Ver. 2.0 compliant , MP4
- Audio Recording Format XAVC S: LPCM 2ch, AVCHD: Dolby Digital (AC-3) 2ch, Dolby Digital Stereo Creator, MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
Recording (still images)
- Recording Format JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver.2.31, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format)
- RAW Output 14bit RAW
- Picture Effect 13 types: Posterization (Color), Posterization (B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera (Normal/Cool/Warm/Green/Magenta), Soft High-key , Soft Focus (High/Mid/Low), HDR Painting (High/Mid/Low), Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature (Auto/Top/Middle (H)/Bottom/Right/Middle (V)/Left), Watercolor, Illustration (High/Mid/ Low)
- Image Size (pixels), Sweep Panorama Wide: horizontal 12,416 x 1,856 (23M), vertical 5,536 x 2,160 (12M), Standard: horizontal 8,192 x 1,856 (15M), vertical 3,872 x 2,160 (8.4M)
- Image Size (pixels), 3:2 L: 6000 x 4000 (24M), M: 4240 x 2832 (12M), S: 3008 x 2000 (6.0M)
- Image Size (pixels), 16:9 L: 6000 x 3376 (20M), M: 4240 x 2400 (10M), S: 3008 x 1688 (5.1M)
- Image Quality Modes RAW, RAW & JPEG, JPEG Extra fine, JPEG Fine, JPEG Standard
- Dynamic Range Functions Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level (1-5)), Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure Difference Level (1-6 EV, 1.0 EV step))
- Creative Style Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box(1-6), , (Contrast (-3 to +3 steps), Saturation (-3 to +3 steps), Sharpness (-3 to +3 steps))
- PlayMemories Camera Apps™ Yes
- Lens Compensation Peripheral shading, chromatic aberration, distortion
- Image Processor BIONZ X
- Face Detection Modes: On/On (Regist. Faces)/Off, Face registration, Face selection, Max. number of detectable: 8
- Digital zoom (Still Image) Smart zoom (Still images): M:Approx. 1.4x, S: Approx. 2x, Digital zoom (Still images): L: Approx. 4x, M:Approx. 5.7x, S:Approx. 8x, Digital zoom (Movie): Approx. 4x
- Clear Image Zoom Still images:Approx. 2x, Movies:Approx. 2x
- Viewfinder Display Graphic Display, Display All Info, No Disp. Info, Digital Level Gauge, Histogram, For viewfinder
- Real-time Image Adjustment Display On/Off
- Number of Dots 921,600 dots
- Magnification Approx. 1.07x (35mm camera equivalent: Approx. 0.70x) with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1
- Field Coverage 100%
- Eye Point Approx. 23mm from the eyepiece lens, 21.4mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1 (CIPA standard)
- Dioptre Adjustment -4.0 to +3.0m<lt/>style name=\sup\<gt/>-1<lt/>/style<gt/>
- Brightness Control (Viewfinder) Auto/Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2)
- Viewfinder Type 1.0 cm (0.39 type) electronic viewfinder (colour)
- Wireless and Network Capabilities NFC One-touch functionality
- Operating Temperature 32 - 104 degrees F / 0 - 40 degrees C
Size and Weight
- Width (cm) 16.00
- Height (cm) 14.00
- Weight (kg) 1.07
- Carton Width (cm) 24.00
- Carton Height (cm) 18.00
- Carton Weight (kg) 5.00
- Released 2019
Model: SEL30M35$349.00 AUD
Model: SEL90M28G$1,499.00 AUD
Model: SEL50M28$824.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED ZOOM LENSES
Model: SELP18200$1,399.00 AUD
Model: SEL24240$1,499.00 AUD
Model: SELP1650$299.00 AUD
Model: SEL2870$499.00 AUD
Model: SEL2470Z$1,298.00 AUD
Model: SEL55210B$349.00 AUD
Model: SEL18200LE$999.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED G & G MASTER LENSES
Model: SELP28135G$3,199.00 AUD
Model: SEL70200G$1,679.00 AUD
Model: SELP18105G$749.00 AUD
Model: SEL2470GM$2,799.00 AUD
Model: SEL70300G$1,999.00 AUD
Model: SEL70200GM$3,699.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED PRIME / FIXED FOCUS LENSES
Model: SEL16F28$299.00 AUD
Model: SEL50F18B$499.00 AUD
Model: SEL85F14GM$2,288.00 AUD
Model: SEL20F28$499.00 AUD
Model: SEL50F14Z$1,998.00 AUD
Model: SEL35F14Z$2,299.00 AUD
Model: SEL35F18$549.00 AUD
Model: SEL35F28Z$799.00 AUD
Model: SEL55F18Z$1,199.00 AUD
Model: SEL24F18Z$1,499.00 AUD
Model: SEL50F18F$449.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED FULL FRAME LENSES
Model: SEL28F20$699.00 AUD
Model: SEL1635Z$1,699.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED ZEISS LENSES
Model: SEL1670Z$1,199.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED CAMERA FLASH
Model: HVLF45RM$699.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED BATTERY / CHARGER
Model: NPFW50$99.00 AUD
Model: GPVPT1$149.00 AUD
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs
- ILCE-6400/B AP2