Alpha 1 with superb resolution and speed
- 50.1MP 35mm full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with integral memory for high speed
- High-speed continuous shooting at up to 30fps
- Professional movie capture up to 8K/30p and 4K/120p
Request a price match
An identical model
The product must be a matching brand, model number and colour to be eligible.
Available to purchase
We may match selected local retailers (including their online prices) once verified and item must in stock or pre-order online or in store.
Not shown on our exclusions list
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, competitor’s service prices, special or hourly sales, bonus buy offers.
See our full list of exclusions
A local retailer
The retailer must have a local business number (ABN/ACN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Find a Qualifying Product
While online, find a qualifying product from a local retailer's website that would like to request a price match from. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Fill out the form to request a Price Match
On selected pages, fill out the form and submit your request. Note, some models are excluded.
Please be prepared to direct our support staff to the ad or website that is displaying the current lower price you would like to match.
Should your price match request be successful, we will contact you and update your shopping cart. Make sure to create/sign into your account and add the product to cart to make this quicker.
Find a Qualifying Product
Find a qualifying product that you want Sony to price match from a local retailer. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Price Match In Store
Take your catalogue, flyer, or printed email into one of our Sony Stores to request a price match.
Next-generation 8K 30p recording
The new image sensor and BIONZ XR engine in the α1 deliver 8K 30p movie recording capability for extraordinary realism. Four times the resolution of 4K with full Real-time Tracking and Real-time Eye AF functionality. 8K footage is also ideally suited to flexible 4K editing.
Breathtaking resolution and image quality
The new 50.1 MP Exmor RS CMOS sensor delivers high resolution and sensitivity with low noise, plus up to 15 stops of dynamic range. A new image processing engine achieves even better colour accuracy than previous models.
High-level subject recognition technology now makes it possible for Sony’s Real-time Eye AF function to track and accurately focus on bird eyes, even if the bird suddenly takes flight or the framing changes. This innovative function easily meets the many challenges of bird photography.
Wide ISO100 ~ 32000 sensitivity range
Despite the sensor’s high pixel count, a sensitive back-illuminated structure with gapless on-chip lenses and an AR coated seal glass allows a standard ISO range of ISO100~32000, expandable to ISO50~1024009.
Full-frame stacked 50.1 MP Exmor RS™ CMOS sensor with integral memory
A stacked architecture in this back-illuminated 50.1 MP full-frame image sensor contributes to high resolution and speed. Separate pixel and circuit layers and advanced A/D conversion mean faster processing.
Two CFexpress Type A compatible media slots
Dual media slots support UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC/SDHC cards as well as new CFexpress Type A cards for higher overall capacity and faster read/write speeds.
Touch menu control
Touch-responsive main and function menus with menu tabs on the left of the display and related parameter groups and parameters on the right make for easy navigation and tracking control.
Durable magnesium alloy chassis
A light, rigid magnesium alloy enhances the durability of the top, front, and rear covers as well as the internal frame. 6 lens mount attachment screws add even more strength and rigidity.
Seamlessly switch full-frame and APS-C formats
M and S size images have the same number of pixels in the full-frame and APS-C modes, so you can switch seamlessly between full-frame [M:M21] and APS-C [M:M21], for example, while shooting the same scene. And because the full array of 759 phase detection points is available in APS-C mode as well as full-frame mode, you get the same smooth AF performance.  Full Frame  APS-C
Independent still and movie settings
A subset of the camera's shooting settings now change according to the selected shooting mode. This can be an advantage when you want to use different aperture, shutter speed, and other settings for shooting stills and movies. The available settings are: Aperture, Shutter Speed, Exposure Compensation, ISO Sensitivity, Metering Mode, White Balance, and Picture Profile.
High-resolution viewfinder with the widest view in its class
A 9.44 million-dot (approx.) electronic viewfinder with high-definition OLED display and refined optics delivers the highest resolution in its class. It also offers 0.90x viewfinder magnification, a 41º diagonal FOV, and a 25mm high eyepoint for clear, low-distortion viewing from corner to corner. This advanced viewfinder also features up to 240 fps refresh rate with UXGA FOV for super-smooth display.
Two CFexpress Type A compatible media slots
The Alpha 1 has two media slots that both support UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC/SDHC cards as well as new CFexpress Type A cards for higher overall capacity and faster read/write speeds. CFexpress Type A cards are ideally suited to high-speed continuous still shooting as well as high-resolution, high-bitrate movie recording. Recorded stills and movies can be saved to the memory media in numerous ways, to match a wide range of applications and needs.
Lossless compression plus "Light" JPEG
In addition to compressed and uncompressed RAW, The Alpha 1 includes efficient lossless compression with minimal quality degradation. There is also a new "Light" JPEG size setting that results in smaller files than the "Standard" setting, allowing faster deliver for news and sports photographers who depend on speed.
HEIF: High compression with excellent image quality
In addition to a versatile range of RAW and JPEG formats, the Alpha 1 includes the HEIF (High Efficiency Image File) format for smooth 10-bit gradations that provide more realistic reproduction of skies and portrait subjects where subtle, natural gradation is essential. The advanced compression technology used by the HEIF format also maintains image quality that is on a par with the best JPEGs, with approximately twice the compression.
4K movie recording at up to 120 frames per second
The Alpha 1 offers in-camera 4K recording at up to 120 frames per second. Extraordinarily smooth 5x (max.) slow-motion imagery at 4K resolution provides new expressive capability. In addition to supporting 10-bit 4:2:2 recording, this feature can be used with efficient Long GOP inter-frame compression or high-quality Intra (All-I) intra-frame compression.
Full pixel readout without binning for high-res 4K
Full frame and Super 35 formats can be selected for 4K movie recording. Full pixel readout in the Super 35 mode (approx. APS-C 16:9), without the need for pixel binning, makes it possible to condense approximately 2.3 times the amount of data required for 4K movies, resulting in high-resolution, high-detail 4K with minimal moire and jaggies. Bit rates up to 600 Mbps can be used for 4K XAVC HS, XAVC S, and XAVC S-I recording. (A) 2.3 times information
S-Log3 and 10-bit HLG deliver extra depth
The S-Log3 gamma curve makes it possible to achieve 15+ stops of dynamic range, while the S-Gamut3 and S-Gamut3.Cine colour gamut settings make it easy to match Alpha 1 footage with footage shot on the VENICE digital cinema camera, PXW-FX9, and other professional camcorders. An HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) picture profile is also provided, allowing direct playback on an HDR (HLG) compatible TV without the need for colour grading.
16-bit RAW output
The Alpha 1 allows 16-bit RAW output to an external recorder via HDMI for maximum post-production flexibility. Full-frame 4332 x 2448 16-bit image output easily covers 4096 x 2048 DCI-4K, with a choice of frame rates and colour spaces. It is also possible to output RAW via HDMI while recording XAVC HS 4K, XAVC S 4K, or XAVC S-I 4K to internal card media. Proxy recording is also available.
Comprehensive touch operation
A revised menu structure provides easier navigation, and touch-responsive menu operation offers faster, more intuitive control. All main and function menus are touch responsive. Even more intuitive control is provided by Touch Focus and Touch Tracking. With Touch Tracking enabled, all you have to do is touch a subject on the monitor to initiate Real-time Tracking for that subject, for both stills and movies.
Built-in Wi-Fi supports 2x2 MIMO
Built-in wireless LAN allows communication on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, the latter with 2x2 MIMO support (IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac) for industry-leading speed. Dual antennas ensure reliable communication, even with the camera's durable magnesium alloy chassis. 5 GHz communication can be a notable advantage for news and sports shooters who need to deliver with reliable speed.
Tenacious Real-time Tracking
The Alpha 1 includes AI-based Real-time Tracking that automatically maintains accurate focuswhile the shutter button is half-pressed. A newly developed subject recognition algorithm uses colour, pattern (brightness), and subject distance (depth) data to process spatial information in real time at high speed. Alpha 1 Real-time Tracking is faster, more accurate, and more tenacious than ever before.
759 point full-area phase detection AF
759 phase detection points in a high-density focal plane phase-detection AF system cover approximately 92% of the image area, ensuring accuracy and unfailing focus in scenes where focusing might otherwise be difficult. The 759-point focal plane phase-detection AF system works with a 425-point contrast AF system to ensure precise AF operation in any environment.
Stunning realism with 8K 30p movies
For the first time in the a series, the Alpha 1 offers 8K 30p XAVC HS recording with 8.6K oversampling for extraordinary resolution and realism. Combined with superior Alpha 1 AF, gradation, and colour reproduction performance, 8K resolution brings the world to life. 8K footage is also ideally suited to flexible 4K editing. Low-bit-rate proxy files with HD resolution can be recorded simultaneously with 8K.
50.1 megapixel Exmor RS image sensor
The Alpha 1 features a full-frame stacked back-illuminated CMOS Exmor RS sensor with 50.1 effective megapixels and integrated memory. In addition to delivering outstanding image quality, this allows the Alpha 1 to shoot continuously at up 30 frames per second while offering fast, precise phase-detection AF and top-quality 8K movies with full-frame 8.6K oversampling for the first time in the a series. Unprecedented performance for a new era of image making.
Advanced BIONZ XR engine boosts speed by up to 8x
The Alpha 1 features a revised system architecture with greatly enhanced processing performance from image capture through all signal processing stages. Processing latency is minimised while image processing power is dramatically increased for extraordinary image quality. User interface, network, and file management processing is distributed so that fast, stress-free control response is maintained regardless of real-time processing load.
Continuous shooting at up to 30 fps
High speed readout from the 50.1-megapixel image sensor and a large buffer memory make it possible to shoot up to approximately 165 full-frame JPEG images or 155 full-frame compressed RAW images at up to 30 frames per second with the electronic shutter while maintaining full AF and AE tracking performance. This can be a huge confidence-booster when timing is critical for sports and other moving subjects.
The Alpha 1 viewfinder does not black out when an exposure is made, so you have an uninterrupted view that allows smooth, seamless framing and tracking even during continuous shooting. High readout speed from the new image sensor makes it possible to refresh the live-view EVF display 240 times per second while shooting continuous bursts, overcoming the distracting time lag that is usually associated with EVF viewing. (A) Blackout-free Shooting (B) Shooting with blackouts
Silent, vibration-free electronic shutter
The electronic shutter operates silently, without mechanical noise that can be disruptive when shooting sports or events in a quiet environment. The electronic shutter is also vibration-free, minimising the likelihood of vibration-induced blur and further contributing to superior image quality. And since it has no moving components the electronic shutter is much more durable than any mechanical counterpart.
Fast USB Type-C and 1000BASE-T network connections
A USB Type-C connector that supports fast SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps (USB 3.2) data transfer is provided. This makes high-speed PC Remote (tethered) data transfer available for smooth handling of large image files. The Alpha 1 also has a built-in 1000BASE-T LAN connector for high-speed, stable data transfers, including remote shooting. FTPS (File Transfer over SSL/TLS) is supported, allowing SSL or TLS encryption for increased data security.
- Lens Compatibility E-mount
- Lens Mount E-mount
- Mount E-mount
- Sensor 35mm full frame (35.9 x 24.0mm), Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Image Sensor Aspect Ratio 3:2
- Sensor Type Full Frame
- ISO Sensitivity Still images: ISO 100-32000 (ISO numbers up from ISO 50 to ISO 102400 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit), Movies: ISO 100-32000 equivalent, AUTO (ISO 100-12800, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Number Of Pixels (Effective) 50MP
- Number of Pixels (total) Approx. 50.5 megapixels
- Silent Shooting Yes (ON/OFF)
- Shutter Type Mechanical shutter/Electronic shutter. Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Shutter Speed Still images, Single shot Mechanical Shutter:1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb; AUTO: 1/32000 to 30 sec, Bulb; Electronic Shutter: 1/32000 to 30 sec; Still images, Continous shooting Mechanical; Shutter:1/8000 to 30 sec; AUTO: 1/32000 to 1/2 sec; Electronic Shutter: 1/32000 to 1/2 sec; Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4(1/3 steps), up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode)
- Flash Sync. Speed (Mechanical shutter), (Flash Sync. Priority) is (ON) or (AUTO):1/400 sec (35mm full frame), 1/500 sec (APS-C), (Flash Sync. Priority) is (OFF):1/320 sec (35mm full frame), 1/400 sec (APS-C), (Electrical shutter), 1/200 sec (35mm full frame), 1/250 sec (APS-C)
- Electronic Front Shutter Curtain Yes
- Touch Screen Yes
- Total Number of Dots 1,440,000 dots
- Focus Magnifier Yes, Focus Magnifier (35mm full frame: 4.2x / 8.5x, APS-C: 2.7x / 5.5x)
- Brightness Control (LCD) Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2), Sunny Weather mode
- Adjustable Angle Up by Approx. 107 degrees, Down by Approx. 41 degrees
- Screen Type 7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT
- Drive Modes Single Shooting, Continuous shooting (Hi+/Hi/Mid/Lo selectable), Self-timer, Self-timer (Cont.), Bracket: Single, Bracket: Cont., White Balance bracket, DRO bracket
- Continues Shooting AUTO/Electronic Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi+: 30 fps, Hi: 20 fps, Mid: 15fps, Lo: 5 fps, Mechanical Shutter: Continuous shooting: Hi+: 10 fps, Hi: 8 fps, Mid: 6fps, Lo: 3 fps
- Metering Type 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Sensor Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Metering Sensitivity EV-3 to EV20 (at ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Metering Mode Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot, Spot Standard/Large, Entire Screen Avg., Highlight
- Exposure Modes AUTO(iAuto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Movie (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) / Flexible Exp. Mode), Slow & Quick Motion (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) / Flexible Exp. Mode)
- AE Lock Locked when shutter button is pressed halfway. Available with AE lock button. (On/Off/Auto)
- Flash Modes Flash off, Autoflash, Fill-flash, Slow Sync., Rear Sync., Red-eye reduction (on/off selectable), Wireless8, Hi-speed sync.
- Flash Compensation +/- 3.0 EV (switchable between 1/3 and 1/2 EV steps)
- FE Level Lock Yes
- External Flash Compatibility Sony α System Flash compatible with Multi Interface Shoe, attach the shoe adaptor for flash compatible with Auto-lock accessory shoe
- Focus Type Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF / contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Sensor Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Focus Sensitivity Range EV-4 to EV20 (ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Focus Area Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot / Expanded Flexible Spot / Tracking
- AF Mode AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C ( Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus
- AF Illuminator range Approx. 0.3m - approx. 3.0m (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- AF Illuminator -
- EYE AF Still images: Human (Right/Left Eye Select) / Animal (Right/Left Eye Select) / Bird, Movie: Human (Right/Left Eye Select)
- Functions FTP Transfer Func.(Wired LAN, USB Tethering, Wi-Fi)., View on Smartphone,Remote control via Smartphone, NFC One-touch remote,PC Remote, BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI), PhotoTV HD
Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Approx. 430 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 530 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- Power consumption with Viewfinder Still images: approx. 4.6W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached), Movies: approx. 6.8W (with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Supplied Battery One rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100
- Creative Look ST, PT, NT, VV, VV2, FL, IN, SH, BW, SE, Custom Look (1-6)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC Hs 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (200Mbps), 60p (150Mbps / 75Mbps / 45Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 50Mbps / 30Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (200Mbps), 50p (150Mbps / 75Mbps / 45Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (280Mbps), 60p (200Mbps / 100Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 50Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (280Mbps), 50p (200Mbps / 100Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 8bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (200Mbps), 60p (150Mbps), 30p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 24p (100Mbps / 60Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:0, 8bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (200Mbps), 50p (150Mbps), 25p (100Mbps / 60Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (280Mbps), 60p (200Mbps), 30p (140Mbps), 24p (100Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (280Mbps), 50p (200Mbps), 25p (140Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S HD) 1920 x 1080 (4:2:0, 8bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 120p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 60p (50Mbps / 25Mbps), 30p (50Mbps / 16Mbps), 24p (50Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:0, 8bit, PAL) (Approx.): 100p (100Mbps / 60Mbps), 50p (50Mbps / 25Mbps), 25p (50Mbps / 16Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (50Mbps), 30p (50Mbps), 24p (50Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (50Mbps), 25p (50Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S-I 4K) 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (600Mbps), 30p (300Mbps), 24p (240Mbps); 3840 x 2160 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (500Mbps), 25p (250Mbps)
- Movie Recording System (XAVC S-I HD) 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, NTSC) (Approx.): 60p (222Mbps), 30p (111Mbps), 24p (89Mbps); 1920 x 1080 (4:2:2, 10bit, PAL) (Approx.): 50p (185Mbps), 25p (93Mbps)
Recording (still images)
- Creative Look ST, PT, NT, VV, VV2, FL, IN, SH, BW, SE, Custom Look (1-6)
- Viewfinder Type 1.6 cm (0.64 type) electronic viewfinder (color)
- Display Function Histogram, Real-time image-adjustment display, Digital level gauge, Grid line, Focus check, Peaking MF, Zebra, Movie marker, Emph disp dur REC
Size and Weight
- Carton Width (cm) 15.50
- Carton Height (cm) 27.00
- Carton Weight (kg) 3.59
When you purchase a Sony product, you have the peace of mind in knowing that your product is covered by Sony's Standard Warranty provided by Sony Australia Limited (for Australian purchases) and Sony New Zealand Limited (for New Zealand purchases)
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs
- ILCE-1/BQ AP2