Alpha 7S Digital E-Mount Camera with Full Frame Sensor (Body only)
This item is currently unavailable
ILCE-7S System Software (Firmware)
Version 3.20. 26-07-2016
Professional video functions
Professional video functions such as XAVC S Full HD recording at 50Mbps, time code and optional XLR audio inputs.
Learn and be inspired while exploring our Image Gallery. Images are captured on Sony cameras and lenses.
- 12.2MP 35mm full-frame Exmor CMOS sensor
- Ultra-high sensitivity up to ISO 409600
- 4K video output with full pixel read out
Best Photo/Video Camera Professional: Sony α7SSony’s strategy of using larger pixels on a full-frame Exmor CMOS sensor (12.2MP) pays dividends in a very high dynamic range (15.3 stops), excellent low-light capability (Fast Intelligent AF to -4EV and low noise) and extremely high sensitivity (extended ISO range 50-409,600). TIPA, 2016 Read Review
See settings with the XGA OLED Tru-Finder
Preview your camera settings and effects in real-time even when using the viewfinder. Unlike optical viewfinders, you can compose black and white photos or preview exposure adjustments before pressing the shutter. Plus, features like 100% frame coverage, wide viewing angle, information display modes, peaking function, and focus magnification will significantly enhance how you shoot.
Comprehensive anti-dust system
To keep your photos blemish free, an anti-dust mechanism vibrates ultrasonically whenever you switch off the camera--thus removing any particles adhering to the image sensor. Additionally, an anti-static coating helps prevent dust settling on the sensor during lens changes.
Tiltable LCD screen for flexible composition
High resolution screen with tilt capability allows perfect framing of otherwise impossible over-head or low-angle shots.
Pro-level time code and user bit video functions
An essential tool on multi-camera shoots, timecode dramatically speeds up editing where several cameras need to be syncronised. Both Record Run, which advances timecode only while recording, and Free Run, with continuous timecode advancement are supported. Additionally a User Bit feature lets you add identifying information (such as scene and take numbers) alongside the timecode.
Picture Profile for pre-shoot settings
Fine-tune the look of your movies before shooting by adjusting gradation (black level, gamma and black gamma), colour adjustment (colour mode, intensity, colour tone and depth), basic colour (gamma and colour mode) and more. Adjusted parameters can be saved along with other settings as a profile, and up to seven profiles can be stored for later recall.
120fps at HD resolution for super slo-mo video
When shooting movies in the Super-35mm equivalent (APS-C) crop mode, this camera supports high-frame-rate 120fps shooting at HD resolution (1280 x 720 pixels). This remarkable capability broadens your expressive options since a movie shot at this frame rate can be played back at 24p to create stunning 5x slow-motion effects.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing PlayMemories Mobile app to your NFC enable Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Supported in Capture One Express (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is one of the world's best RAW converters, rendering precise colours and incredible detail. It contains flexible digital asset management, all the essential adjustment tools and fast, responsive performance in one customizable and integrated solution. * Please direct all inquiries on purchase, usage and support on Capture One solutions to Phase One.
High dust and moisture resistance
Durability-enhancing measures engineered into the design include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered body structure that tightly interlocks panels and components.
Professional gamma setting
The S-Log2 is a proprietary Sony gamma setting featured in commercial video equipment, and incorporated here. Invaluble for professionals seeking post-production flexibility, this preset Picture Profile offers up to 14 stops of dynamic range - enough latitude to capture all the detail in both deep shadow and bright sunlight.
See your options: Quick Navi Pro and custom buttons
Quick Navi Pro displays all major shooting options on the LCD screen so you can rapidly confirm settings and make adjustments as desired without searching through dedicated menus. Button customization lets you shoot just the way you like, with frequently used functions assigned to the customizable buttons of your choice.
Enhanced Fast Hybrid Autofocus captures action
Enhanced Fast Hybrid Autofocus (AF) is comprised of a number of features: Phase-detection AF (bringing the subject into focus), contrast-detection AF (fine-tuning focus points), and Spatial Object Detection (which estimates subject movement). They all work together seamlessly to let you capture a fast-moving subject with perfect sharpness.
Substantial, ergonomic grip
The a7s is 25% less bulky than leading DSLRs, but still features a full-size grip for all-day shooting comfort.
Audio recording and monitoring functions
During movie recording and playback, you can directly monitor sound using the built-in headphone jack. On-screen audio level monitoring is also available, or connect to professional microphones and audio mixers with the optional XLR terminal adaptor kit.
12.2MP 35mm full-frame sensor gives top image quality
A huge 35mm full frame sensor offers 50x more surface area than a conventional compact camera sensor. The larger suface area means vastly better sensitivity for low-light shooting as well as fine control over depth of field. Paired with great optics, Sony's full frame sensor is ideal for creative, commercial, and landscape photography.
Ultra-high sensitivity up to ISO 409600
Expand your still and movie capabilities with the ultra-high sensitivity range from ISO 50 to 409600 for still images and 100 to 409600 for movies. High ISO lets you choose to shoot without unnatural flash illumination and allows faster shutter speeds (to freeze motion) even in low light--ideal for sports on an overcast day.
BIONZ X for superior detail and texture
All digital cameras need to convert the light captured by their sensor to a beautiful digital photograph. The engine that powers this conversion is just as important as your lens and a high-resolution sensor--so Sony developed the remarkable BIONZ(tm) X processor, allowing more natural details, more realistic images, richer tonal gradations, and lower noise while shooting both photos and movies.
High-quality video with the XAVC S format
The high-bit-rate XAVC S format is provided for videographers ready to take their work to the next level. Delivering incredible quality, XAVC S is built from the XAVC format used by professional movie makers and broadcasters, while employing intelligent data compression to bring about consumer-friendly editing and file sizes.
Multiple recording formats provide video versatility
Shoot to suit, with a range of video formats available. Capture using the high bitrate AVCHD or XAVC S codec for editing and playback on big screens; or choose the MP4 mode for quick uploading and sharing. Capture motion at up to 24p frame rates for dramatic slow motion possibilities.
Clean HDMI output
Monitor and capture uncompressed video using the clean HDMI output. Simultaneously record video to onboard memory cards in playback-friendly compressed formats, as well as to an external recorder in your choice of formats and bitrates, for ultimate professional production flexibility.
Full-frame filmmaking capability
Professional quality moviemaking in the palm of your hand. Capture stunning images, even in low light thanks to the premium Exmor CMOS sensor. Then enjoy the flexibility to add external audio capture plus off-board video monitoring and recording, all designed to put professional creation in reach of anyone.
Strong and light magnesium alloy body
Thanks to using magnesium alloy, the world's lightest structural metal, the a7s weighs 489 grams with battery-far lighter that other high-performance cameras-but has the durability for years of performance.
Cutting-edge features in the world’s smallest bodyThe lightweight magnesium alloy body features comprehensive dust and moisture resistance
Full frame, compact formThe α7S offers unparalleled mobility and customisation—along with a massive 35 mm full-frame sensor.
Silent shootingThe electronic shutter eliminates shutter noise, enabling discreet shooting of wildlife, recitals and more.
Built light; built to lastCrafting the α7S from magnesium—the world’s lightest structural metal—means superb handling and reliability.
- Lens Compatibility E-mount
- Lens Mount E-mount
- ISO Sensitivity ISO 50-409600
- Sensor 35 mm full frame (35.6 x 23.8mm) Exmor CMOS sensor
- Image Sensor Aspect Ratio 3:02
Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Number Of Pixels (Effective) 12.2 MP
- Sensor Type 35 mm
- Silent Shooting Yes (On/Off)
- Shutter Type Electronically controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Shutter Speed Still images: 1/8000 to 30 sec., Bulb\nMovies: 1/8000 to 1/4 (1/3 step), Up to 1/50 in AUTO mode (up to 1/25 in Auto Slow Shutter mode)
- Electronic Front Shutter Curtain Yes
- Total Number of Dots 921,600 dots
- Peaking MF Yes (Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off, colour: White/Red/Yellow)
- Focus Magnifier 35mm full frame: 4.2x, 8.3x, APS-C: 2.7x, 5.4x
- Brightness Control (LCD) Manual ( 5 steps between -2 and +2 ), Sunny Weather mode
- Screen Type 3.0 inches (7.5 cm) TFT LCD
- Speaker Built-in, monaural
- Microphone Built-in stereo microphone or ECM-XYST1M / XLR-K1M (sold separately)
- Drive Modes Single shooting, Continuous shooting, Speed Priority Continuous shooting, Self-timer (10/2 sec. delay selectable), Self-timer (Cont.) (10 sec. delay\n 3/5 exposures selectable), Bracketing (Cont., Single, White Balance, DRO)
- Continues Shooting 5 fps (in Speed Priority Continuous Shooting mode)
- Metering Sensitivity EV -3 to EV 20 (at ISO 100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Metering Mode Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot
- Exposure Modes AUTO (iAUTO, Superior Auto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Scene Selection, Sweep Panorama, Movie
- PC Interface Mass-storage, MTP, PC remote
- Others Microphone terminal (3.5mm Stereo minijack), Headphone terminal (3.5mm Stereo minijack), Vertical Grip Connector
- Multi Interface Shoe Yes
- Interfaces Multi/Micro USB TerminalMulti Interface ShoeMicrophone minijackHeadphone minijackVertical Grip Connector
- HD Output HDMI micro connector (Type-D), BRAVIA Sync (link menu), PhotoTV HD, 4K still image playback
- Auto-lock Accessory Shoe Auto-lock Accessory Shoe compatible with supplied shoe adaptor
Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Up to 380 shots
- Supplied Battery NP-FW50 W-series Rechargeable Battery Pack
- External Power AC Adaptor AC-PW20 (optional)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Movies) Actual: Approx. 55 min. with viewfinder, approx. 60 min. with LCD screen (CIPA standard)\nContinuous: Approx. 90 min. with viewfinder, approx. 90 min. with LCD screen (CIPA standard)
- Video Compression XAVC S: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264\nAVCHD: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264\nMP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Recording Format (Movie) AVCHD 2.0 / MP4 / XAVC S (up to 1920 x 1080/50p 28Mbps)
Recording (still images)
- Image Size (pixels), 3:2 35mm full frame L: 4240 x 2832 (12M), M: 2768 x 1848 (5.1M), S: 2128 x 1416 (3.0M)\nAPS-C L: 2768 x 1848 (5.1M), M: 2128 x 1416 (3.0M), S: 1376 x 920 (1.3M)
- Image Size (pixels), 16:9 35mm full frame L: 4240 x 2384 (10M), M: 2768 x 1560 (4.3M), S: 2128 x 1200 (2.6M)\nAPS-C L: 2768 x 1560 (4.3M), M: 2128 x 1200 (2.6M), S: 1376 x 776 (1.1M)
- Image Quality Modes RAW, RAW & JPEG, JPEG Extra fine, JPEG Fine, JPEG Standard
- PlayMemories Camera Apps™ YES
- Lens Compensation Peripheral shading, chromatic aberration, distortion
- Image Processor BIONZ X
- Clear Image Zoom Still / Movie: Approx. 2x
- Storage Media Slot Multi slot for Memory Stick Duo / SD Memory card
- Magnification Approx. 0.71x (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m)
- Viewfinder Type 0.5 electronic viewfinder (colour)
- Range 32º-104ºF / 0-40ºC
Size and Weight
- Width (cm) 16.00
- Height (cm) 14.50
- Weight (kg) 1.69
- Carton Width (cm) 16.00
- Carton Height (cm) 30.00
- Carton Weight (kg) 4.00
Model: VCTVPR1$199.00 AUD
Model: RMSPR1$29.00 AUD
Model: RMTDSLR2$29.00 AUD
Model: RMVPR1$69.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED SCREEN ACCESSORIES
Model: PCKLM16$19.00 AUD
Model: CLMFHD5$999.00 AUD
Model: CLMV55$599.00 AUD
Model: ECMAW4$259.00 AUD
Model: ECMXYST1M$199.00 AUD
Model: XLRK2M$899.00 AUD
Model: ECMCG60$329.00 AUD
Model: ECMW1M$249.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED CAMERA FLASH
Model: HVLF20M$249.00 AUD
Model: HVLF32M$399.00 AUD
Model: HVLLE1$299.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED LENS MOUNT ADAPTER
Model: LAEA4$349.00 AUD
Model: LCSSC21$119.00 AUD
Model: LCSSC8$79.00 AUD
Model: LCSSL20$69.00 AUD
Model: LCSSL10$49.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED PRIME / FIXED FOCUS LENSES
Model: SEL35F28Z$799.00 AUD
Model: SEL24F18Z$1,499.00 AUD
Model: SEL20F28$499.00 AUD
Model: SEL35F18$549.00 AUD
Model: SEL85F14GM$2,288.00 AUD
Model: SEL85F18$849.00 AUD
Model: SEL50F14Z$1,998.00 AUD
Model: SEL35F14Z$2,299.00 AUD
Model: SEL50F18F$449.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED G & G MASTER LENSES
Model: SEL70200G$1,799.00 AUD
Model: SELP18105G$688.00 AUD
Model: SEL1224G$2,499.00 AUD
Model: SEL2470GM$2,799.00 AUD
Model: SEL70300G$1,999.00 AUD
Model: SEL100F28GM$2,299.00 AUD
Model: SEL100400GM$3,488.00 AUD
Model: SEL1635GM$3,199.00 AUD
Model: SEL24105G$1,899.00 AUD
Model: SEL24F14GM$2,198.00 AUD
Model: SEL135F18GM$2,888.00 AUD
Model: SEL70200GM$3,799.00 AUD
Model: SEL400F28GM$16,998.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED ZOOM LENSES
Model: SEL2470Z$1,298.00 AUD
Model: SEL2870$499.00 AUD
Model: SEL1018$1,017.00 AUD
Model: SEL24240$1,499.00 AUD
Model: VGC1EM$449.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED BATTERY / CHARGER
Model: ACCTRW$119.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED ZEISS LENSES
Model: SEL1670Z$1,199.00 AUD
Model: VMCMM2$79.00 AUD
Model: SEL90M28G$1,499.00 AUD
Model: SEL50M28$824.00 AUD
RECOMMENDED FULL FRAME LENSES
Model: SEL28F20$699.00 AUD
Model: SEL1635Z$1,699.00 AUD
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs
- ILCE-7S/BQ AP2