a5000 E-mount Camera with APS-C Sensor and 16-50 mm Zoom Lens
Learn and be inspired while exploring our Image Gallery. Images are captured on Sony cameras and lenses.
- 20.1MP Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor
- 180º tiltable LCD display screen
- Easy sharing with Wi-Fi & NFC
Convenient Power zoom lens w/ motor zoom lever and body control
A convenient zoom lever on the body of the camera allows for effortless one-handed operation and smooth zooming even when shooting self-portraits, bringing compact camera convenience to the realm of interchangeable-lens models.
Up to 420 Shots of battery life
Take up to 420 shots on a single charge with Sony lithium ion Stamina battery power. Sony's InfoLITHIUM battery system enables you to see the percent of power remaining, so you can keep shooting in confidence.
Compact Power Zoom 16-50mm kit lens
For the ultimate in portability, the a5000 includes the collapsible 16-50mm power zoom (SELP1650) as the kit lens. Ideal when traveling or anytime a compact, lightweight camera-combo is desired.
Improve your accuracy during manual focusing by magnifying the scene 6.8x or 13.6x on the LCD screen and fine-tuning what you see.
Face Detection/Smile Shutter
Set the a5000 to recognize faces and smiles. Face Detection locates up to eight faces in a composition then adjusts exposure, white balance and other settings based on these faces. Smile Shutter - adjustable in three levels - automatically takes a shot when smiles in the scene are detected.
Beautifully composed self-portraits made easy
The a5000's tiltable LCD screen flips up 180º to make shooting self-portraits a snap. Include other people, experiment with interesting angles or shoot against famous landmarks. When you press the shutter, the camera does all the work.
Just sweep the camera when shooting to capture spectacular panoramic landscapes that can be enjoyed on the LCD screen or a wide-screen TV.
Superior Auto and Photo Creativity
The Superior Auto mode makes great photography as simple as pointing and shooting. It also lets you enjoy creative photographic expression by entering the Photo Creativity mode - for easy adjustment of Background Defocus, Brightness, Colour and Vividness - or adding Picture Effect modes while viewing the results in real-time on the LCD screen.
Optimize image quality for the type of scene you shoot by choosing one of nine Scene Selection modes, including Portrait, Sports Action and Macro.
Bring out the character of your scene by choosing the appropriate mode (Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Black & White or Sepia).
These four modes make it easy to enjoy the creative freedom of manual shooting while prioritizing what is most important for the shot.
Hand-held Twilight (Scene Selection)
Create beautiful hand-held evening shots with minimal blur and noise by activating this advanced Scene Selection mode.
This feature enhances clarity by reducing subject-motion blur, which tends to occur in dimly lit scenes or when shooting at telephoto settings.
This handy feature colourizes the most sharply focused areas of your image so you can quickly confirm whether manual focusing needs adjustment.
DRO (D-Range Optimizer)
DRO is another way to tame contrasty scenes for more natural looking images. Unlike Auto HDR, it can be used when photographing moving subjects, even during high-speed continuous shooting.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing PlayMemories Mobile app to your NFC-enabled Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
20.1 MP Exmor HD APS sensor
Get incredible detail and gorgeous enlargements. Thanks to the large 20.1 megapixel APS-C sensor size and Sony Exmor APS HD CMOS technology, the camera achieves high resolution and DSLR quality images with no penalty in low-light sensitivity or sensor noise.
Auto Object Framing fills the frame with your subject
Give your photos a professional look with Auto Object Framing. Featuring advancements like exceptional two-person portrait capability along with Face Detection and Tracking Focus, Auto Object Framing not only turns ordinary photos into stunning compositions but does so automatically recognizing the scene then cropping accordingly.
Supported in Capture One Express (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is one of the world's best RAW converters, rendering precise colours and incredible detail. It contains flexible digital asset management, all the essential adjustment tools and fast, responsive performance in one customizable and integrated solution. * Please direct all inquiries on purchase, usage and support on Capture One solutions to Phase One.
BIONZ X image processing engine
Expect superlative results with Sony's latest processing engine: truer colour rendering, better noise reduction, and faster burst mode shooting.
Low light situations not a problem
Built-in pop-up flash in a compact camera body is perfect when an extra burst of light is needed to get the shot. Combine with high ISO sensitivity - from 100 to 16000 ISO - to enable shooting in just about any setting.
Full HD 1080/60i/24p or 1080/30p MP4 movies
Record stunning high quality Full HD video in either 60i or 24p frames per second. Records in your choice of 60i/24p Blu-Ray quality AVCHD format, or in PC-friendly 1080/30p MP4 format.
- Lens Compatibility Sony E-mount lenses
- Lens Mount E-mount
- ISO Sensitivity ISO 100-16000
- Sensor APS-C type (23.2 x 15.4mm)
- Image Sensor Aspect Ratio 3:2
Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Number Of Pixels (Effective) 20.1 MP
- Number of Pixels (total) Approx. 20.4
- Sensor Type APS-C
- Shutter Type Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Shutter Speed Still images:1/4000 to 30 sec, Bulb, \nMovies: 1/4000 to 1/4(1/3 steps)\nup to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode)
- Flash Sync. Speed 1/160 sec. (With compatible Sony external flash)
- Electronic Front Shutter Curtain YES
- Total Number of Dots 460,800 dots
- Real-time Image Adjustment Display (LCD) ON/OFF
- Quick Navi NO
- Peaking MF YES (Level setting: High / Mid / Low / Off, Colour: White / Red / Yellow)
- Focus Magnifier YES (6.8x, 13.6x)
- Display Selecter (Finder/LCD) YES(LCD)
- Brightness Control (LCD) Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2), Sunny Weather mode
- Adjustable Angle Up by approx. 180 degrees
- Screen Type 3.0\ wide type TFT LCD
- Speaker Built-in,monaural
- Microphone Built-in stereo microphone
- Compatible OS Windows Vista SP2 (Starter Edition is not supported)\n Windows 7 SP1\n Windows 8\n Mac OS X (v10.6-v10.8)
- Memory Function YES
- Custom Function Type Custom key settings
- Drive Modes Single, Continuous, Speed-priority Continuous, 10 seconds and 2 seconds Self-timer, Self-timer (Cont.) (with 10 sec delay 3/5 exposures selectable), Bracketing:Single, Bracketing:Cont, WB Bracketing, DRO Bracketing
- Continues Shooting 3.5 fps (in Speed Priority Continuous Shooting mode)
- Scene Selection Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Hand-held Twilight, Night Portrait, Anti Motion Blur
- Metering Type 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Sensor Exmor\ APS HD CMOS sensor\
- Metering Sensitivity EV0 to EV20 (at ISO100 equivalent with F2.8 lens attached)
- Metering Mode Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot
- Exposure Modes iAUTO, Superior Auto, Programmed AE, Aperture priority, Shutter-speed priority, Manual, Movie (Programmed AE / Aperture priority / Shutter-speed priority / Manual ), Sweep Panorama, Scene Selection
- Exposure Compensation Still images: +/- 3.0EV (1/3EV steps); Movies: +/- 2.0EV (1/3EV steps)
- Auto (AE) Bracketing Bracket: Cont.\nBracket: Single, With 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV, 1.0 EV, 2.0 EV, 3.0 EV increments\n3 Frames (1/3 EV, 2/3 EV,1.0EV,2.0EV,3.0EV : only 3 frames) selectable
- AE Lock Locked when shutter button is pressed halfway. (Auto/On/Off selectable)
- Flash Modes Flash Off, Autoflash, Fill-flash, Slow Sync., Rear Sync
- Wireless Control Yes (Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz band) )
- Flash Range 16mm (focal-length printed on the lens body)
- Flash Control (with optional external flash) Pre-flash TTL
- Flash Compensation +/- 2.0EV (1/3EV steps)
- Other Features Focus lock
- Focus Type Contrast-detection AF
- Focus Sensor Exmor\ APS HD CMOS sensor\
- Focus Sensitivity Range EV0 to EV20 (ISO100 equivalent with F2.8 lens attached)
- Focus Point 25 points (contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Mode Autofocus, DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus
- Focus Area Wide (25 points (contrast-detection AF)), Zone, Center-weighted, Flexible Spot (S/M/L)
- AF Mode AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C ( Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus
- AF Illuminator range Approx. 0.3 - approx. 3.0m (with E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- AF Illuminator Built-in flash
- PC Interface Mass-storage, MTP, PC remote
- Others PC Remote
- NFC™ One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Interfaces Multi/Micro USB Terminal
- HD Output HDMI micro connector (Type-D)\nBRAVIA Sync (link menu)\nPhotoTV HD\n4K Still Image PB
- Noise Reduction Long exposure NR:available of shutter speeds longer than 1 sec.\nHigh ISO NR: Normal/Low
- Multi Frame NR NO
- White Balance Modes Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent (Warm White, Cool White, Day White, Daylight), Flash, Underwater/ Colour Temperature (2500 to 9900K) & colour filter (G7 to M7 (15-step), A7 to B7 (15-step)), Custom
- Bracketing 3 frames, H/L selectable
- AWB Micro Adjustment YES (G7 to M7, 15-step) (A7 to B7, 15-step)
- Playback Modes Single (with or without shooting information), RGB histogram & highlight/shadow warning), 12/30-frame index view, Enlarged display mode (L: 15.1x, M: 10.7x, S: 7.6x, Panorama (Standard): 19x, Panorama (Wide): 29x), Image orientation (Manual/Off selectable), Slideshow, Panorama scrolling, Folder selection (Date/Still/MP4/VCHD), Forward/Rewind (Movie), Delete, Protect, Auto Review (10/5/2 sec,Off)
Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Up to 420 shots
- Supplied Battery NP-FW50 W-series Rechargeable Battery Pack
- Internal Battery Charge YES
- External Power AC Adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Movies) Approx. 95 min (actual recording)\nApprox. 150 min (continuous recording)
- Compatible Standards Exif Print, Print Image Matching III, DPOF setting
- Video Compression AVCHD Ver. 2.0 compliant / MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)
- Recording Format (Movie) AVCHD 2.0 / MP4
- Movie Functions Auto Slow Shutter
- Image Size (pixels), PAL (3:2 mode)L:5456 x 3632(20M), M:3872x2576(10M), S:2736x1824(5.0M)\
- Audio Recording Format Dolby Digital (AC-3) 2ch\nDolby Digital Stereo Creator\nMP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
Recording (still images)
- Recording Format JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant)\nRAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format)
- RAW Output YES
- Picture Effect Posterization (Colour), Posterization (B/W), Pop Colour, Retro Photo, Partial Colour (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera (Normal / Cool / Warm / Green / Magenta), Soft High-key, Soft Focus (High / Mid / Low), HDR Painting (High / Mid / Low), Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature (Auto / Top/Middle (H) / Bottom / Right / Middle (V) / Left), Watercolour, Illustration (High / Mid / Low)
- Image Size (pixels), Sweep Panorama Wide: horizontal 12,416 x 1,856 (23M), vertical 5,536 x 2,160 (12M)\nStandard: horizontal 8,192 x 1,856 (15M), vertical 3,872 x 2,160 (8.4M)
- Image Size (pixels), 3:2 L: 5456 x 3632 (20M)\nM: 3872x2576 (10M)\nS: 2736x1824 (5.0M)
- Image Size (pixels), 16:9 L: 5456x3064 (17M)\nM: 3872x2176 (8.4M)\nS:2736x1536 (4.2M)
- Image Quality Modes RAW\nRAW & JPEG\nJPEG Fine\nJPEG Standard
- Dynamic Range Functions Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level (1-5)), Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure Difference Level (1-6 EV, 1.0 EV step))
- Creative Style Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Black & White, Sepia (Contrast (-3 to +3 steps), Saturation (-3 to +3 steps), Sharpness (-3 to +3 steps))
- Touch Shutter NO
- Smile Shutter YES (selectable from 3 steps)
- Smart zoom (Still Image) M:Approx.1.4x\nS:Approx. 2x
- Smart Teleconverter NO
- Self-Portrait YES (3 sec delay/OFF selectable)
- PlayMemories Camera Apps™ YES
- Lens Compensation Peripheral Shading, Chromatic Aberration, Distortion
- Image Processor BIONZ X
- Face Detection On / On (Regist. Faces) / Off\nFace registeration\nFace selection
- Digital zoom (Still Image) L:Approx.4x, M:Approx.5.6x, S:Approx.8x
- Digital zoom (Movie) Approx.4x
- Clear Image Zoom Approx. 2x
- Auto Object Framing NO
- Storage Media Slot YES
- Recording Mode on 2 Memory Cards NO
- Compatible Recording Media Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD, SDHC, SDXC memory cards
- Real-time Image Adjustment Display YES (ON / OFF)
- Viewfinder Type NP-FW50 W-series Rechargeable Battery Pack
- Wireless and Network Capabilities 210 g (Body Only) / 269 g (With battery and media)
- View on TV YES
- View on Smartphone YES
- Range <lt/>2500 to 9900K<gt/>& colour filter<lt/>G7 to M7(15-step), A7 to B7(15-step)<gt/>/ Custom
Size and Weight
- Width (cm) 14.00
- Height (cm) 13.00
- Weight (kg) 0.93
- Carton Width (cm) 27.50
- Carton Height (cm) 19.50
- Carton Weight (kg) 4.00
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs