RX1R II Professional Digital Compact Camera with 35mm Sensor
- The world's first optical variable low-pass filter
- Back-illuminated 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor with 42.4 megapixels
- Speedy Fast Hybrid AF with wide AF coverage
Request a price match
An identical model
The product must be a matching brand, model number and colour to be eligible.
Available to purchase
We may match selected local retailers (including their online prices) once verified and item must in stock or pre-order online or in store.
Not shown on our exclusions list
Exclusions apply including, but not limited to, competitor’s service prices, special or hourly sales, bonus buy offers.
See our full list of exclusions
A local retailer
The retailer must have a local business number (ABN/ACN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Find a Qualifying Product
While online, find a qualifying product from a local retailer's website that would like to request a price match from. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Fill out the form to request a Price Match
On selected pages, fill out the form and submit your request. Note, some models are excluded.
Please be prepared to direct our support staff to the ad or website that is displaying the current lower price you would like to match.
Should your price match request be successful, we will contact you and update your shopping cart. Make sure to create/sign into your account and add the product to cart to make this quicker.
Find a Qualifying Product
Find a qualifying product that you want Sony to price match from a local retailer. Make sure the product is identical to our product (model number and colour). The price must be current on the day of request and available to purchase at that price. The retailer must have a local business number (ABN or NZBN) and be registered for Goods and Services Tax ("GST").
Price Match In Store
Take your catalogue, flyer, or printed email into one of our Sony Stores to request a price match.
Imaging Edge Webcam lets you connect your Sony camera to your personal computer, and use the camera as a webcam with a livestreaming/web conferencing service.
Ultimate full-frame compact
This compact digital camera packs a 42.4-megapixel1 35mm full-frame sensor, so it's easy to shoot in better quality wherever you go.
Learn and be inspired while exploring our Image Gallery. Images are captured on Sony cameras and lenses.
BEST FULL-FRAME COMPACT CAMERASharing the same 42.2 MP sensor and BIONZ X image processor with Sony’s α7R II, the RX1R II has an integral ZEISS® Sonnar T* 35mm f/2 lens. The sensor has an impressive 399 phase detection AF points that work in conjunction with 25 contrast AF points to achieve fast and efficient focus. TIPA, 2016 Read Review
Full HD movie recording and XAVC S format
The RX1R II supports the XAVC S movie recording format, for capturing the quality of Full HD motion picture footage at frame rates of 60p (50p), 30p (25p) or 24p, and at a high bit rate of 50Mbps. This increases your capability to express your visions in truer images that contain finer details and minimal compression noise, moire and jaggies.
Higher-resolution full-frame CMOS sensor
The 35mm full-frame Exmor R CMOS sensor provides for 42.4-megapixel resolution, sensitivity up to ISO 102400, wide dynamic range and low noise. The back-illuminated structure expands circuitry scale of a new copper wiring layer for 3.5 times faster data readout. The enhancements allow the RX1R II to deliver readout of images, AF response and continuous shooting capability, all at high speed.
Priority setup in AF-C/AF-S
In AF-S (Single-shot AF) or AF-C (Continuous AF) mode, choose AF priority for taking pictures only when subject is in focus, Release priority for taking pictures even when subject is not in focus, or Balanced Emphasis for balancing the AF and Release options to achieve accurate focus, without missing a decisive moment when shooting moving subjects.
AF-C focus mode/5fps shooting with AF tracking
AF-C (Continuous AF) focus mode enables the RX1R II to track moving subjects while maintaining sharp focus, even when shooting continuously at 5fps, thanks largely to the 399-phase-detection-AF-point system's widespread autofocus coverage throughout a large portion of the image area.
Tiltable LCD screen accommodates your eyepoint
The LCD screen is easy to monitor throughout a versatile range of shooting positions. Its 3.0-type WhiteMagic Display, with approx. 1,229k dots including high-luminance white pixels, can be tilted/positioned from 109 degrees up to 41 degrees down at max and ensures excellent visibility in all situations, even outdoors or in other bright environments.
D-range Optimizer (DRO)
In difficult lighting, DRO corrects your images to achieve smoother, more natural gradations with more detail in the highlights and shadows. You can use it during continuous shooting and when photographing moving subjects.
Intuitive, versatile dial operation
Settings are easy to adjust while framing a subject as you look through the viewfinder. Rotate lens barrel rings with your left hand to control the aperture or activate macro mode, and fine-tune focus. Select a focus mode with the front-mounted dial. A right hand can operate top-mounted mode dial, exposure compensation dial, custom button, AEL button, etc.
More precise white balance adjustment
The RX1R II offers more white balance adjustment steps (twice as many on the amber-blue axis; four times as many on the green-magenta axis) than the RX1R, so you can finely tune white balance with more subtle precision for more natural colours.
XGA OLED Tru-Finder with retractable design
The retractable Tru-Finder features 0.74x magnification, an optical system of four glass lens elements including two molded-glass aspherical lenses, corner-to-corner clarity, minimal distortion, anti-reflective ZEISS T* Coating and brilliant reproduction of recording detail. The EVF can instantly, precisely preview how your settings will affect an image. A separate eyepiece cup is included.
Supports 14-bit uncompressed RAW format
New compatibility with 14-bit uncompressed RAW format lets you choose the optimal format for your needs. The camera thereby ensures supreme quality of tonal gradation to maximize the benefit of the image sensor's wide dynamic range.
Compatible with multiple aspect ratios
Now, 1:1 and 4:3 join 3:2 and 16:9 as aspect ratios that are supported by the previous model. The 1:1 aspect ratio with 28M (instead of 42M) pixels still gives you adequate expressive capability for later trimming, regardless of whether you intend to trim for vertical or horizontal image orientation.
Wi-Fi / NFC for fast, simple sharing
With Wi-Fi built into the RX1R II, you can easily transfer a photo or MP4 movie to your smartphone or tablet, then upload it to your favorite SNS (social networking site). NFC (Near Field Communication) even simplifies establishing connection between the camera and device when using a NFC-enabled smartphone or tablet.
Automatic Eye AF
The RX1R II employs Eye AF that automatically detects and tracks the eye of a moving subject, for more framing freedom. Eye AF is available even in AF-C focus mode.
Auto HDR (High Dynamic Range)
Auto HDR integrates the best details from three exposures to expand the dynamic range of your images from darkest shadows to brightest highlights and capture all the tonal gradations seen by your naked eye.
Higher quality framed in a compact footprint
Great camera capabilities fit better than ever in your palm, with the compact RX1R II. Full-frame format compatibility and other state-of-the-art image sensor and processing innovations ensure breathtaking image quality. The bright fixed focal length lens embodies ZEISS renowned optical integrity.
Creative Style settings bring out the character of your scene. Simply select any of 13 settings (Vivid, Portrait, etc.) and the camera will adjust image parameters. You can also fine-tune contrast, saturation and sharpness to suit your preference.
ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed
Prevent blur in a shot of a moving subject by setting a shutter speed at which ISO sensitivity starts changing when ISO AUTO (while in P or A mode, or in Multi Frame NR) is selected.
1200-zone Evaluative Metering
High-precision metering by an advanced evaluative metering sensor with 1200 zones ensures balanced exposures in wide-ranging lighting conditions. You have a choice of Multi Pattern, Center Weighted or Spot metering mode.
Multi Frame NR (Noise Reduction)
This mode combines four shots' best details to significantly suppress noise and raise sensitivity, letting you clearly capture dark scenes without a tripod or flash. Camera shake blur is also lowered while contrast and detail are raised.
Focus Magnifier & Peaking function
You can clearly magnify the image to simplify manual fine-tuning of the focus whether shooting still images or movies. The Peaking function can also be activated to colourize the most sharply focused areas of your image for quick confirmation.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing PlayMemories Mobile app to your NFC enable Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Strong, light magnesium alloy body
The sculpted lightweight metal body conveys strong, solid assurance for shooting in all circumstances. Every component has been meticulously refined to enhance precision and ease of operation, and designed to function flawlessly and reliably in the long run.
Macro mode for sharp extra-closeup shooting
Rotate the macro switch ring to activate macro mode and shorten the minimum subject-to-image-sensor focusing distance to 20cm. Minimal lens unit protrusion ensures shooting comfort. You can even take advantage of Direct Manual Focus (DMF), MF Assist, Peaking function as well as use the XGA OLED Tru-Finder, etc. while engaged in macro shooting.
Large-aperture ZEISS Sonnar T* 35mm F2 lens
The premium-quality ZEISS Sonnar T* 35mm F2 lens with maximum F2 aperture features a proprietary AA (advanced aspherical) lens element and minimal lens unit movement that allow the lens barrel to be very light and compact. Lens and sensor imaging plane are calibrated to optimize resolution with clarity consistent throughout each image.
BIONZ X image processing engine upgraded
BIONZ X processes 42.4 megapixels of data from the 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor to reproduce fine realistic detail with noise reduced according to image area characteristics. This allows for fast, faithful depiction of nuanced light and texture. The fixed-lens design of the RX1R II also helps to optimize processing of image information for the lens and the sensor.
Speedy, accurate Fast Hybrid AF
399 focal plane phase-detection AF points and 25 contrast-detection AF points make Fast Hybrid AF extra-quick and accurate under all conditions. The system features extensive phase-detection coverage (45% of image area) and 30% faster AF, as well as high tracking performance that assures capability to capture decisive moments.
Optical variable low-pass filter
LPF effect settings take advantage of the sensor's high 42.4-megapixel resolution to deliver the ultimate image quality for your needs. Choose among Off (to prioritize image resolution), Hi (to reduce moire and colour artifacts) or Standard (to balance those priorities) settings to achieve image character you're aiming for. Low-pass filter bracketing lets you preview effects of various settings.
Supported in Capture One Express (for Sony) One of the world's best RAW converters by Phase One
Capture One Express (for Sony) is one of the world's best RAW converters, rendering precise colours and incredible detail. It contains flexible digital asset management, all the essential adjustment tools and fast, responsive performance in one customisable and integrated solution. *Please direct all inquiries on purchase, usage and support on Capture One solutions to Phase One.
- Number of Pixels (Effective) 42.4 MP
- Sensor Effective Pixels 42MP
- Sensor Type 35mm Full Frame Exmor CMOS sensor
- Adjustable Angle Up approx. 109 degrees, down approx. 41 degrees, at max.
- Brightness Control Auto / Manual (5 steps) / Sunny Weather mode
- Display Selector (Finder/Lcd) Auto / EVF / Monitor
- MS Assist Magnification 5.0x, 12.5x
- Screen Type 7.5cm (3.0 type) (4:3) / 1,228,800 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Clear Image Zoom [Still Image] 2x, [Movie] 2x
- Digital zoom [Still Image] 42M approx. 4x / 18M approx. 6.2x / 11M approx. 8x, [Movie] Approx. 4x
- Filter Diameter 49 mm
- F-number (Maximum Aperture) F2
- Focal length f=35mm
- Focus Range (From the Front to the Lens) 24 cm - Infinity (14 cm - 29 cm in Macro mode)
- Lens type ZEISS Vario Sonnar T* Lens
- Aperture F2-22
- Continuous Shooting Speed (Maximum) (Maximum Number of Recording Pixels) Speed priority continuous shooting: approx. 5fps, Continuous shooting: approx. 2.5fps (AF-S)
- Creative Style Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box
- Focus Type Single, Continuous shooting, Speed priority continuous shooting, Self-timer, Self-timer (cont.), Cont.-bracketing , Single-bracketing , White balance bracketing , DRO bracketing , LPF bracketing
- Dynamic Range Functions Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto / Level 1-5), Auto High Dynamic Range: Off, Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference level (1.0-6.0 EV, 1.0 EV step)
- Exposure Compensation +/-5.0 EV (in 1/3 EV steps), with exposure compensation dial: +/-3.0 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
- Flash Mode Flash Off / Autoflash / Fill-flash / Slow Sync. / Rear Sync. /\nWireless(with optional compliant flash)
- Focus Area Wide (399 points for phase-detection AF / 25 points for contrast-detection AF) / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) / Expand Flexible Spot / Lock-on AF (Wide / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) / Expand Flexible Spot)
- Focus Mode Single-shot AF (AF-S) / Continuous AF (AF-C) / Direct Manual Focus (DMF) / Manual Focus
- Focus Type Fast Hybrid AF(phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF)
- Image Control Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness, Creative Style, Colour Space (sRGB/Adobe RGB), Quality (RAW / RAW & JPEG / Extra fine / Fine / Standard)
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie) ISO 100-25600
- ISO Sensitivity (Still Image) ISO 100-25600
- Light Metering Mode Multi Pattern / Center Weighted / Spot
- Noise Reduction Long exposure NR: On / Off, available of shutter speeds longer than 1 sec., High ISO NR: Normal / Low / Off, Multi Frame NR: Auto / ISO 100-102400
- Number of Recognised Scenes [Still Image] Superior Auto: 44, Intelligent Auto: 33, [Movie] 33
- Picture Effect [Still Image] Toy camera, Pop Colour, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Colour, High Contrast Mono., Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Richtone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolour, Illustration, [Movie] Toy camera, Pop Colour, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Colour, High Contrast Mono.
- Scene Selection Portrait, Sports Action, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Handheld Twilight, Night Portrait, Anti Motion Blur
- Self-Timer 10 sec. / 5 sec. / 2 sec. / 3 or 5 consecutive shots with 10 sec. 5 sec. or 2 sec. delay selectable / Bracketing shots with 10 sec. 5 sec. or 2 sec. delay selectable
- Shooting Mode AUTO (Intelligent Auto / Superior Auto), Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure, MR (Memory Recall) 1,2,3, Movie Mode (Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure), Panorama, Scene Selection
- Shutter Speed Program Auto (30"-1/4000* sec.) / Aperture Priority (30"-1/4000* sec.) / Shutter Priority (30"-1/4000* sec.) / Manual Exposure (Bulb, 30"-1/4000* sec.) / iAuto (4"-1/4000* sec.) *At F5.6 or greater aperture value. Fastest limit at F2 is 1/2000 sec.
- Steadyshot Electronic type (for movies)
- WB Micro Adjustment Yes (G7 to M7 (57 steps), A7 to B7 (29 steps))
- White Balance Modes Auto / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluor.: Warm White / Fluor.: Cool White / Fluor.: Day White / Fluor.: Daylight / Flash / C.Temp. / Filter / Custom
- Input and Output Terminals Multi/Micro USB Terminal , Micro HDMI, Microphone (3.5 mm Stereo minijack), Multi Interface Shoe
- NFC NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Operating Temperature Approx. 0ºC to 40ºC (32Fº to 104Fº)
- Playback Functions BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI) / Single (with or without shooting information, RGB histogram & highlight/shadow warning) / 9/25-frame index view / Enlarged display mode / Auto Orientation / Slide Show / Panorama scrolling / Auto Review (10sec./5sec./2sec./off) / Forward / Rewind (Movie) / Delete / Protect / 4K still image playback
- PlayMemories Camera Apps Yes
- Shooting Functions Smart Teleconverter (approx. 1.4x / 2x) / Eye AF / Lock-on AF / Face Detection / Face Registration / Smile shutter / Grid Line / Quick Navi / Digital Level Gauge (pitch and roll) / Exposure Bracketing / White Balance Bracketing / DRO Bracketing / Flash Bracketing / LPF bracketing / MF Assist / Peaking / Zebra / Marker Display / Photographer Name & Copyright / ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed / PC Remote Control / Auto Object Framing
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images) Up to 220 shots / 110 min
- Battery System Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1
- Power Consumption (Camera Mode) Approx. 2.5W with LCD monitor and approx. 2.7W with viewfinder (CIPA standard)
- Power source DC3.6V (supplied battery) / DC5.0V (supplied AC Adaptor)
- USB Charge/USB Power Supply Yes (supplied AC adaptor)
- Print Exif Print, PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
- Recording Format sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Compatible Recording Media Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo (High Speed), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro , Memory Stick Micro (Mark2) , SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card, microSD Memory Card , microSDHC Memory Card , microSDXC Memory Card
- Movie Recording Mode (NTSC) AVCHD (up to 1,920 x 1,080/60p at 28Mbps) / MP4 (up to 1,920 x 1,080/60p at 28M)
- Movie Recording Mode (PAL) AVCHD: 28M PS (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/50i) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/50i) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/25p), XAVC S HD: 50p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 25p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 100p 50M (1,280 x 720/100p), MP4: 28M (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 16M (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 6M (1,280 x 720/25p)
- Recording Format [Still Image]: JPEG (DCF Ver.2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format), [Movie]: XAVC S, AVCHD format Ver.2.0 compatible, MP4
- Recording Format XAVC S: LPCM 2ch / AVCHD: Dolby Digital (AC-3) 2ch (Dolby Digital Stereo Creator) / MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Number of Recording Pixels (Image Size) [3:2] L: 42M (7,952 x 5,304) / M: 18M (5,168 x 3,448) / S: 11M (3,984 x 2,656), [4:3] L: 38M (7,072 x 5,304) / M: 16M (4,592 x 3,448) / S: 9.4M (3,536 x 2,656), [16:9] L: 36M (7,952 x 4,472) / M: 15M (5,168 x 2,912) / S: 8.9M (3,984 x 2,240), [1:1] L: 28M (5,296 x 5,296) / M: 12M (3,440 x 3,440) / S: 7.1M (2,656 x 2,656), [Sweep Panorama] Standard (3,872 x 2,160 / 8,192 x 1,856) / Wide (5,536 x 2,160 / 12,416 x 1,856)
- Brightness Control Auto, Manual (5 steps)
- Dioptre Adjustment -4.0 to +3.0m-1
- Eye Point Approx. 19mm from the eyepiece lens, 18.4mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1 (CIPA standard)
- Field Coverage 100%
- Magnification Approx. 0.74x (with 50mm lens equiv. at infinity, -1m-1)
- Screen Type/Number of Dots 0.39-type electronic viewfinder (OLED), 2,359,296 dots
Size and Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D) 113.3 x 65.4 x 72.0 mm
- Weight 480 g (Body only)507 g (With battery and Memory Stick PRO Duo)
When you purchase a Sony product, you have the peace of mind in knowing that your product is covered by Sony's Standard Warranty provided by Sony Australia Limited (for Australian purchases) and Sony New Zealand Limited (for New Zealand purchases)
This product is searchable
Search for this product by using any of the following codes or IDs
- DSC-RX1RM2 E32