Rated 5 out of
So much camera for such a little device!
If you have ever found yourself reaching for your DSLR to capture that perfect moment only to realise that you left it at home, then the DSC QX-10 is going to be the perfect addition to list of gadgets to pick up as you walk out the door.
The QX-10 is a pretty unique piece of kit, the entire unit is the size of a small detachable lens, that has the brains of a pretty powerful 18MP point and click camera inside. What makes it unique is the fact that the unit itself does not have any sort of screen orview finder, that is controlled by your Android or iOS smart phone. When you have framed and taken your shot, a copy of the picture is then transferred to your phone as well as being stored on the QX-10's memory card.
There are a multiple photo modes available to use (Intelligent Auto, Superior Auto & Program Auto) as well as a decent Movie mode (1440p Recording). All of this coupled with a 10x Optical zoom with Steady Shot makes the DSC QX-10 a really small, really powerful and must have device if you rely on your smart phones camera.
But be prepared to answer quite a lot of “what is that” style questions from onlookers, because boy are you going to get a few of those! The only gripe I have with the QX-10 is the lack of full manual control for still photos, but with the continued support through multiple firmware updates, there is a pretty good chance we will see the option added in the future.
Date published: 2014-09-08
Rated 5 out of
It's a big camera in your pocket
If it was a puppy it would have small puppy syndrome.
If you've ever wanted to take the perfect photo but didn't have your big lens camera (SLR) on you then don't panic. The QX-10 has all the features of a professional camera in a tiny size. It fits your smartphone and has a universal connector so no need for extras.
Simple to use and great looking it really is a dream come true.
So if your sick of grainy smartphone photos or not getting the best zoom then this is for you.
"More photos are taken on an iPhone than any other device" no more photos will be taken on my QX-10 than any other camera.
Date published: 2013-12-06
Rated 4 out of
This camera/lens takes very good photos. The photos taken by this camera are a magnitude better than those taken by the in-built (still pretty good) phone camera. It adds a whole new dimension to the phone viewfinder.
It is a bit fiddley to use at the start, but you get used to using it/holding it in a slightly different way to a regular camera or phone camera. If not attaching it to the camera, it is a bit awkward to zoom and take the shot.
It does exactly what I want it to do, so all is good. Make sure you buy the carrying case for it.
This product is not (I think) widely known about by people. I would definitely recommend this to others.
Date published: 2014-11-27
Rated 4 out of
A wonderful piece of Sony Innovation.
When I saw this product announced it really epitomised my view that Sony is synonymous with Innovation, and I immediately wanted one. It is a great solution to needing a better camera with optical zoom, but not wanting to add the extra bulk of carrying a full camera and smartphone.
Some of the great features:
- Adds optical zoom and a great camera to any smartphone. For me this is the big hit, as optical zoom is the one thing I miss when taking photos with a smartphone.
- The bracket expands to attach to most phones easily but securely, or you can hold the lens and use your phone as a viewfinder, for taking shots over a crowd or in those awkward spaces.
- It is super easy to setup and use; it creates its own WiFi network which you connect to on your device, and then download the free app, which searches for the lens camera. That easy!
- All the buttons you might need for zoom are on the lens camera without adding extra bulk. These buttons are also on screen in the app, so there's no need to touch the lens when it's hooked up to the phone.
- Super easy to charge via the USB cable, or the battery is removable for charging with compatible chargers.
- The lens camera can also be used independently of a phone with a memory card inserted (if you're confident enough to take photos without a viewfinder!).
- Photos taken through the app automatically integrate with your phone to add pics to your main camera roll. No need to fiddle with transferring photos from an app to your main library.
The only opportunity for improvement I've found is that the image stabilisation isn't as powerful as you'll find in a full point and shoot or DSLR camera, for this reason it's probably not for those with exceptionally shaky hands. If you struggle to get an in focus image on your regular camera or smartphone, this might not be the product for you.
Overall I am as impressed as I expected to be with this product, and it's my go-to when I'm don't have the space or foresight to carry a full camera, but want the option of great pictures.
Date published: 2014-10-20